Engine Another bad distributor?

You said you checked continuity on the STI and the ohms were high. Was that with the computer connected or disconnected? IF it's high with the computer connected, you're trying to shoot continuity through the ECU...if it's high with the computer disconnected, and the wire isn't shorted to anything already, you have a high resistance short. If it's disco'd, it should be open/infinite resistance
I tested with the computer connected. I didn’t know I was supposed to disconnect

• Sponsors (?)

These are my findings so far been at it all day.

A.) MSD or Crane ignition box if so equipped

Not equipped

B.) PIP sensor in distributor. The PIP sensor supplies the timing pulse to trigger the TFI and injectors. A failing PIP sensor will sometimes let the engine start if the SPOUT is removed. See paragraph 5A - a noid light will tell if the pip is working by flashing when the engine is cranking.

Does not start with the spout removed

C.) TFI module: use a test light to check the TFI module. Place one lead of the test light on the red/green wire on the ignition coil connector and the other lead on the dark green/yellow wire on the ignition coil connector. If the TFI is working properly, the test light will flash when the engine is cranked using the ignition switch.

Tested both sides of the green/yellow and it has power when cranked. Do I need to test all wires and do I just look for power or 12v?

D.) Coil

New coil and has power to the red wire

E.) No ECC or computer power - ECC or computer relay failure

86-93 models only: ECC relay next to computer - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires

94-95 models only: EEC or PCM power relay in the constant control relay module. Look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires.

I have 12 volts at fuel injector red wires

F.) No ECC or computer power - fuse or fuse link failure

86-93 models only: Fuse links in wiring harness - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires. All the fuse links live in a bundle up near the starter solenoid.

94-95 models only: 20 amp EEC fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires.

G.) Ignition switch - look for 12 volts at the ignition coil red/lt green wire. No 12 volts, blown fuse link or faulty ignition switch. Remove the plastic from around the ignition switch and look for 12 volts on the red/green wire with the switch in the Run position. No 12 volts and the ignition switch is faulty. If 12 volts is present in the Run position at the ignition switch but not at the coil, then the fuse or fuse link is blown.

Note: fuses or fuse links blow for a reason. Don’t replace either a fuse or fuse link with one with a larger rating than stock. Doing so invites an electrical fire.

Ignition fuse links may be replaced with an inline fuse holder and 5 amp fuse for troubleshooting purposes.

94-95 models only: Check inside fuse panel for fuse #18 blown – 20 amp fuse

I have 12 volts on the wire going on but didn’t pull it to see if I have 12 volts on the actual switch coming out. Idk if this could be a possibility?

H.) Missing or loose computer power ground. The computer has its own dedicated power ground that comes off the ground pigtail on the battery ground wire. Due to it's proximity to the battery, it may become corroded by acid fumes from the battery. It is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long by 1" diameter with a black/lt green wire. You'll find it up next to the starter solenoid where the wire goes into the wiring harness

Computer was grounded correctly when I removed it.

I.) Computer.

Swapped the computer to my race car and it turned on so I’m assuming the computer is good. The weird thing is when I put it back in my daily it ran for a while then tried to time it died with out the spout after about 30 seconds. Then didn’t have spark after I let the battery charge.

J.) Bad or missing secondary power ground. It is located between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges.

I have the secondary ground connected

K.) Engine fires briefly, but dies immediately when the key is released to the Run position. Crank the engine & when it fires off, pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Hold the switch in the crank position: if it continues to run there is a problem with either the ignition switch or TFI module. Check for 12 volts at the red/green wire on the coil with the switch in the Run position. Good 12 volts, then replace the TFI. No 12 volts, replace the ignition switch.

Can’t get car to run.

On the way to get a new distributor. I might have an electrical problem somewhere if I’m only getting spark sometimes?

Is this a continuation of this problem?
This is an example of multiple threads for the same problem making it hard for members to help.
After reading through both threads I feel you have tunnel vision. I also believe you have not done the checklist step by step, the next step depends on the results from the one before. The reason is I see no reference to checking the ignition switch, it is located on the steering column under the dash and is prone to exhibit some of the symptom you are discribing.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this a continuation of this problem?
This is an example of multiple threads for the same problem making it hard for members to help.
After reading through both threads I feel you have tunnel vision. I also believe you have not done the checklist step by step, the next step depends on the results from the one before. The reason is I see no reference to checking the ignition switch, it is located on the steering column under the dash and is prone to exhibit some of the symptom you are discribing.
Sorry if I made a mistake, i was driving it to get parts then it backfired and didn’t want to start. So I thought it was a separate problem. I wasn’t sure if I should report the problem to the same thread or create another one because it was a separate problem. But somehow I got it figured out I was going down the line and had liftetome on the distributor and grabbed a new one and started right up. Maybe I didn’t have something plugged in correctly but it’s running now timing it at the moment. Backfiring a tiny bit so I’ll pull the timing back a degree it two but it’s running.

If you would have read my post for the last couple months, you would see that I had the same problem. Replaced a lot of parts, TIF, pickup, coil, wires, Cap, rotor, ignition switch.............. All that stuff I bought from a local chain auto store. All were crap. I finally got smart, through the continued advice of John, to buy OEM parts. I bought a brand new distributor from LMR, 12127A. Stock, nothing fancy. I have heard that MSDs are not what they are put up to be. And a Mototcraft coil. Started right up and runs great. Just my 2 cents. Oh ya I forgot, it was on a 1992 LX 5.0 convertible.

If you would have read my post for the last couple months, you would see that I had the same problem. Replaced a lot of parts, TIF, pickup, coil, wires, Cap, rotor, ignition switch.............. All that stuff I bought from a local chain auto store. All were crap. I finally got smart, through the continued advice of John, to buy OEM parts. I bought a brand new distributor from LMR, 12127A. Stock, nothing fancy. I have heard that MSDs are not what they are put up to be. And a Mototcraft coil. Started right up and runs great. Just my 2 cents. Oh ya I forgot, it was on a 1992 LX 5.0 convertible.
Sucks we can’t rely on quality parts locally. I like LMR a lot. Just glad we got it all figured out. Thanks for your input bro. Best of luck on your build.

I wonder where LMR gets those distributors?
Ford hasn't made them in over 10 years.
$98.99 is a great price.

$98.99 is a great price.
The distributor I got from autozone is a duralast, is this one from lmr different? What would you consider the best distributor now? Since everyone is having problems with msd?

The distributor I got from autozone is a duralast, is this one from lmr different? What would you consider the best distributor now? Since everyone is having problems with msd?
maybe I'm lucky ,but I got mine from oreillys about five years ago, can't remember the name but no issues at all.

cars running pretty good, just getting a little bit of backfiring now.started at 14 degrees timing and been bumping it back two degrees and still back fires im all the way down to 6 degrees advanced right now shouldnt even be close to that low all i have is gt40 heads which i barely found out I had and a cobra intake cam is unknown. maybe a wire isnt connected right but ill check in a few hours cars hot right now, but starts right up!

Rock Auto sells the Cardone ones which last time I got one was a reman Ford unit.
Cardone remanufactures OEM. I got one but it was defective, they left it in the etch bath too long. There were no threads left for the cap hold down screws.
I have 2 Ford units which I could send in for reman, if they have none in the supply chain, but I've had no problems with the MSD Pro Billet.

Reactions: 1 user
$98.99 is a great price.
They are made in the Philippines. I know, off shore, but they come complete, excluding cap and rotor. I had changed the PIP once and the TFI 3 times. Pulled the old one out and dropped the new one in and it works. That is all that mattered to me.

MSD had an issue in the past with the cap vent causing condensation to cause cross firing and / or corrosion. The newer caps have a better vent. The pickup used to be the main issue with corrosion literally eating it up. I replaced pick ups motorcraft parts. Both of my MSD distributors are still working great.

Reactions: 1 user
My MSD distributor is doing well, thanks for the info,
The MSD coil that came on the car sang! The warranty replacement one is not able to vibrate like that.
Part of the May Suddenly Die problem is counterfeiting. I had seen some questionable parts, and Hot Rod confirmed it with an article. I also think max output racing parts are not designed with the safety margin in that OEM parts have.