Fox Another Fox Leaning..

Alden12

May 10, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hey, I’m new to this site. I have been reading all the forums throughout this site about the Foxbody lean trying to come up with a solution. Nobody seems to have one. This will probably result in the same but I have hope. My Fox is an 1988 5.0 hatch. I have had her for almost a year and have just noticed the lean for about 2-3 months now. I have changed the rear springs because the previous owner ( I believe ) put air ride suspension in the back to correct this. atleast make it less noticeable. one of the airbags popped which called this to my attention But when I put in new springs it looked the same. I then read a TSB released by Ford saying to replace the front left spring so I did so and it seemed to help alittle bit but right now it looks like it went back to the same way it leaned before. It leans towards the drivers side around 1/2-1 1/2. It changes depending on where the car is. usually can get 4+ fingers under the rear passenger side and only 2 snug under the drivers side. Please help. We need to solve this. I’ve been looking into the front sway bar end links and rear adjustable lower control arms. I have not looked at the condition of either though as of today. Thx. - Alden

• Sponsors (?)

First thing you will need to do is put it on a level surface then measure at equal points along the sub-frame on both sides.

Then take measurements from equal exterior body points on both sides (nose, tail, Ffender, Rfender, ctr door) near the sub-frame points you measured.

Pick 3 or 5 spots along the length of the car and post your results. You should use a plumb bob to help you make floor marks for your measuring points. Concrete basketball courts work pretty well.

Edit: Oh, this will tell us if your lean is in the body or suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’ll see if I can do that. I never thought of that. Thats a pretty ingenious way of determining it. I don’t think I have a plumb bob laying around but I will try the best I can. First I need time to do it and second I need a level spot to find in this town. I really hope it’s suspension. I don’t want all my hard work going into a twisted car. Btw. She does have Sub frame connectors welded on. Was like that before I bought her.

A body shop with a frame machine could tell you where the lean is coming from. It doesnt cost alot to get it checked out. Call around your area.

A question. I haven’t measured it yet but lets say my frame is tweaked alittle. Is it the end of the road for this car? Can I get it corrected and get full length sub frame connectors (the ones that go into the trunk)? What are my options after finding this out?