Another harmonic balancer ? from my old post

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Hey guys, a few of you were helping me the other night about a harmonic balancer. I asked another ? and I wasn't sure if it got answered or not. Anyway I been trying to chase down a vibration that happens around 2500-3000 rpms. This occurs in neutral or in gear. It started when I replaced my first clutch a month ago, the car shimmered something horrible. Naturally I thought I had done something on the install wrong, or something was up with my resurfaced flywheel. So I bought a brand new clutch kit, flywheel. The whole works basically while I was under there. Now that everything is installed perfectly I am still getting a vibration. So the other day I look at my harmonic balancer and I see it shaking pretty bad at idle. I inspected it and it doesn't appear to be loose or nothing broken off. It's on there very sturdy. So today, we have 2 other 5.0s in the shop and I take a look at their harmonic balancers with the car running and at idle they shake around just like mine does. How would I tell if my balancer was really bad or not if there isn't no visual damage? I bought the parts anyway and i'm going to install it tomorrow because it's the only logical thing I can think of why I'm getting a vibration. My last question is about the install of the balancer it's self. The instructions talk about an installation tool to install it "properly" and say I can't use a hammer or I can't draw it down with the bolts. Where and what is the installation tool they are talking about and how have you guys installed yours before?

Thanks again guys...
BTW sorry if my posts are getting redundant, it's frustrating trying to trace this stuff down.

• Sponsors (?)

On mine the damage wasn't visible until I removed it. The rubber was coming out between the inner and outter sections.

The tool that used is very similar to a steering wheel puller. Two bolts attach to your balancer and a large bolt on the center drives against your driveshaft pushing the balancer off.

does the balancer wobble while lookin at it with the motor running? it can look like it has excessive run out, which indicates the outer ring slid.

good luck.