Another newbie question

• Sponsors (?)

It's a cable. A guy just posted a picture of his gear drive mechanism broken behind his gauges, but if it isn't registering it could be the gear that runs off the tranny has went bad and has no teeth left. So pull the cluster and to ensure the cable is hooked up behind it then check the where the cable goes into the side of the tranny.

Hmmm, I thought we had a signal converter dealie off the trans to convert it to an elec signal. When I pull my cluster, there is not cable to disco'.

Ok, here is what happened, I was driving on the highway one day and heard a clattering from somewherre in the dash and then it quit and the spedometer stopped working. I took the gauges off today and just saw to electrical connectors that went to the back of the gauges, I have anew spedometer cable and wondering how I would go about putting the new one in. I saw no cable coming from the back of the gauges. Is the gauges the cluster? Sorry I just really have no idea. I have a Haynes and it does not say anything about how to replace that. What are the steps to replacing this?

VSS...vechicle speed sensor....it bolted on the tranny and a electrical plug goes in....I don't believe we have a speedometer cable...all electrics..

If you swap gears you have to pull the sensor and replace a gear inside to re-cal the speedo...to some extent, depending on gear selection...

speedo_drive.jpg

My 94 has no cable....... I dont have a build date off the top of my head though. It would seem like it would have been a pain to rework the clusters and such for a mid-year change, as opposed to doing the swap at the beginning of the SN run. But we know logic does not always follow when they assemble cars.

HISSIN50 said:
Hmmm, I thought we had a signal converter dealie off the trans to convert it to an elec signal. When I pull my cluster, there is not cable to disco'.
Doh... I think you are right. I was thinking of my friend fox body Stang because it hasn't been to long ago we were fighting getting the cable to hook up. It's been so long since I put in my white face gauges that I can't remember what plugs in. Sorry about the confusion. The part I mentioned about you speedometer gear may still be your problem if our cars are like the fox bodies. I know that my when my friend switched gears in his car, his new speedo gear had all of the teeth get chewed off because it was out of alignment, and then his speedo would only read every once in a while.