Another power steering question

I've been reading the archive on power steering problems. My p/s pump started whining very loudly all of a sudden (saying, "I don't want to go to work" "I don't want to go to Walmart" "Stop driving me so fast" :rlaugh: ) ...anyway... I changed the pump. First of all, I am an idiot and put regular p/s fluid in instead of AT fluid. The pump whines louder than the one I took off...could this be the reason? I drove it to work this morning, do you think it will hurt the pump? I'm such an idiot.

If there is anything wrong with the rack, could this cause the pump to whine? I don't think so, but just asking just in case. It steers just fine and all that...just very loud and all. It is pumping fine, so I don't think I have any obstructions anywhere.

• Sponsors (?)

I never heard of regular power steering
fluid making a new pump go bad.
If the pump is straining under straight steering
I would suspect that the load is much more
than normal.

Try jacking up front wheels and turn steering
with car off. Is there a point where the wheel
will not turn the tires?

Can you grab the tire and turn it left and
right by hans?

PS fluid is only meant as a top-off.You shouldn't hurt the pump if you havn't driven it much aftwards.Some other manufactures use a standard PS fluid but Ford uses ATF.That's why it is ok to add some to your resevoir if you allready had it filled with ATF fluid.But if it wasn't meant for it "Like Fords" then you are going to have a tougher time steering.Just drain the fluid and fill it with Dexron III or Mercon V type ATF.Then don't forget to bleed the system after filling it.Start the car and turn the steering all the way to the left then all the way to the right several times.Check fluid.Repeat untill pump gets quieter and there are no hard or noisy spots.If you allready knew this...then no probs...

I don't know about that specif in the Ford service manual.Type F is an older type fluid.Usually newer fluids such as Dexron III or Mercon V will be fine as a substitute in the PS system,but NOT the tranny.Other fluids are not compatible with type F in Transmissions.But they are fine in the PS system.The dealership where I work uses Mercon V in the drop down supply hoses.And all the other techs have been using this as a fill for the PS system,80's 90's or late models.The only thing thats not topped off from the hose is the trans from older vehicles due to it being type F.Other than that,it's fine.

Anyways....foaming just means you got air in the system.You still need to bleed all the air out.Sometimes it takes awhile to get it all out.If you just changed the pump and didn't flush the old fluid out by spinning the pully by hand and letting the fluid dump out the high pressure hose on the side towards the fill cap.There's a line on the front of the steering rack that goes from the left to the right side.Kind of just plugs into itself.It's an air bypass line.I don't think it even connects inside the rack.I just thought about that then figured maybe someone here could drop some 2 cents in on that line.Perhaps there is excess air trapped through there.You also might want to check the lines where they connect to the rack.The low pressure side could get air in if the crush sleeve is bad.Check for leaks.And....................Get some ATF in there.

I don't know about that specif in the Ford service manual.Type F is an older type fluid.Usually newer fluids such as Dexron III or Mercon V will be fine as a substitute in the PS system,but NOT the tranny.Other fluids are not compatible with type F in Transmissions.But they are fine in the PS system.The dealership where I work uses Mercon V in the drop down supply hoses.And all the other techs have been using this as a fill for the PS system,80's 90's or late models.The only thing thats not topped off from the hose is the trans from older vehicles due to it being type F.Other than that,it's fine.

Anyways....foaming just means you got air in the system.You still need to bleed all the air out.Sometimes it takes awhile to get it all out.If you just changed the pump and didn't flush the old fluid out by spinning the pully by hand and letting the fluid dump out the high pressure hose on the side towards the fill cap.There's a line on the front of the steering rack that goes from the left to the right side.Kind of just plugs into itself.It's an air bypass line.I don't think it even connects inside the rack.I just thought about that then figured maybe someone here could drop some 2 cents in on that line.Perhaps there is excess air trapped through there.You also might want to check the lines where they connect to the rack.The low pressure side could get air in if the crush sleeve is bad.Check for leaks.And....................Get some ATF in there.

The Ford Service Manual Calls for Type F as does the Owners Manual