Anti Pump-Up Lifters? And guess my shift point

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
My motor is almost finished. Im down to putting the lifters, pushrods, rockers intake and carb on. The machine shop i took it to asked if i was using regular roller lifters, or anti pump-up lifters. I asked them what the difference was, and they said that at higher RPMs it prevents floating the valves or something along those lines. he said also that at idle, i might get some "clacking" sounds. ive never heard of these or know if they are right for me or not. Also, any guesses to what i should be shifting around with this setup? ill list the mods below.

Stock block 302 bored .030 over (rotating assembly balanced)
TFS 10:1 forged pistons
Eagle Rods
Eagle Steel Crank
Eddy Air Gap Intake
Holley 650 DP carb
TFS stage II cam
New Cam thrust plate
FRPP balancer
TFS 6.700 pushrods
TFS TrackHeat Heads (out of the box)
Scorpion 1.6 rockers
Double roller timnig chain
Melling standard volume oil pump, pickup & ARP oil pump driveshaft
New stock oil pan
MAC 1 5/8 equal length shorties
O/R H pipe
(rest of exhaust undetermined as of yet)
Super King Cobra Clutch
Resurfaced flywheel
All new ARP botls holding everything together
T-5 rebuilt with Hanlon internals
Stock rear end (3.08's)

Thanks in advance for any input

• Sponsors (?)

This doesn't answer your question, but I'm about to start building the same setup except it will be fuel injected. When you finish I would love to know your hp, torque, quarter mile times, or just how it feels to drive! Sorry I don't know about the lifters.

wild86stang said:
This doesn't answer your question, but I'm about to start building the same setup except it will be fuel injected. When you finish I would love to know your hp, torque, quarter mile times, or just how it feels to drive! Sorry I don't know about the lifters.

Ill be happy to let ya know when i get it all finished. hell, its been a 2 1/2 year project (long story, dont ask), im sure ill paste it all over this site when it finally cranks up :D

Edit: nice to see someone else from O-H-10

First off, no don't us anti-pump lifters. They only work to make more power if the cam you chose isn't right for the combination.

Second, the stock lifters are not anti-pump lifters and are the lifters almost every cam company designs their 5.0 cams for.

Third, have it dyno tuned. You can find a solid 20-50 horses there and much improved drivability.

As far as shift point is concerned, once it is dyno tuned, you'll know where your peak horsepower point is, then depending on your combination, the best shift point is generally between 500 and 1000 RPM past that, or when the motor quits pulling harder in the gear you are in as compared to the next gear right after the shift. The motor combination sounds like it will peak somewhere around 6000 RPM.

Thats similar to what some people have told me, anywhere in the 5900-6000 range.

as far as the lifters, i can just order the ford racing replacement lifters (119.00) thru summit, and be cool with that then, right?

Sorry to take so long to reply.

The Ford Racing lifters are perfect.

Ryan

FarBeyondDriven said:
Thats similar to what some people have told me, anywhere in the 5900-6000 range.

as far as the lifters, i can just order the ford racing replacement lifters (119.00) thru summit, and be cool with that then, right?