• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Antifreeze leak

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phil D
  • Start date Start date Nov 19, 2020
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

HemiRick

I'd be looking at jacking under the house
Jun 28, 2020
723
272
73
Memphis TN
Nov 21, 2020
#21
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #21
Its not your problem, does the shop warranty their work? if so take it back. I'm a over 30 yr exp. mechanic and if my customer had this problem and did not return and have fix it for free or at least tell me I screwed up. I would not be happy w them.
 
Reactions: 7991LXnSHO

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,026
1,658
163
nevada
Nov 21, 2020
#22
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #22
I understand the shop is far from you and you would like to fix it yourself, these leaks are a p.i.t.a., Clean really well, use good rtv on both sides of gasket and on bolts , if this fails take the trip back to The shop and let them have at it.
 
Reactions: Phil D and 7991LXnSHO

Potomus Pete

I'm still waiting for the fully nude shots
5 Year Member
Mar 7, 2019
3,344
1,246
153
Sarasota Florida
Nov 21, 2020
#23
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #23
I had an endless leak on my Tacomas thermostat housing and I did not realize that most gasket sealer-makers dont resist anti-freeze. I got the special stuff that can handle anti-freeze. Thats how I finally fixed it.
 
Reactions: Phil D

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
2,993
3,500
184
Mililani, Hawaii
Nov 21, 2020
#24
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #24
I say take it back to the shop. The more you mess with it the more opportunity they will have to say that it is due to you messing with it, which we know isn't the case. I HIGHLY suggest you do not use any kind of "stop leak" in your car.

Chris
 
Reactions: Phil D, 7991LXnSHO and General karthief

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,683
213
polk county florida
Nov 21, 2020
#25
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #25
What thermostat housing are you using?
I agree with the lower intake water passage leak but disagree with attempting to tighten it down more, you chance cracking the intake where the bolt hole is unless the lower gasket is new too, put a torque wrench on it.
 
M

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
1,387
851
133
Lafayette,IN
Nov 21, 2020
#26
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #26
Potomus Pete said:
I had an endless leak on my Tacomas thermostat housing and I did not realize that most gasket sealer-makers dont resist anti-freeze. I got the special stuff that can handle anti-freeze. Thats how I finally fixed it.
Click to expand...
 
M

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
1,387
851
133
Lafayette,IN
Nov 21, 2020
#27
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #27
Potomus Pete said:
I had an endless leak on my Tacomas thermostat housing and I did not realize that most gasket sealer-makers dont resist anti-freeze. I got the special stuff that can handle anti-freeze. Thats how I finally fixed it.
Click to expand...
This. They make a special sealant just for this. Comes in a small tube,works awesome.
 

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
6,946
5,818
213
Nov 21, 2020
#28
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #28
Make sure your thermostat bolts aren't too long. I've seen that cause leaks from not sealing completely. Very common issue.

I'm a certified Advanced engine performance technician ( sounds good )...been working on cars over 20yrs....if it isn't a cadillac Northstar engine do not put stop leak in it.

You want to use surf glue on the thermostat gasket...blue permatex....put a little to hold the thermostat in the housing first. ( just the metal that goes in the recess ). Let it sit for a few minutes to hold the thermostat in. Then coat both sides of the gasket and put it on. If the bolts go through to coolant ports they may need sealer too.
 
Reactions: nickyb

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Nov 21, 2020
#29
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #29
Either Permatex form a gasket #2 or #3 is a good solution for water pump and thermostat gaskets. I used 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on both sides of a thermostat gasket once, and it made an excellent seal. If the gasket had not ripped for disassembly, I would have never got it apart again. ;-)

Permatex High Tack Spray a Gasket sounds worth a try.
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ts/permatex-high-tack-spray-a-gasket-sealant/
 

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 29, 1999
8,500
8,753
234
S.I.NY
Nov 21, 2020
#30
  • Nov 21, 2020
  • #30
whoever is recommended pouring any type of stop leak in needs to stop giving that advice . That is terrible.

What it sounds like needs to happen is the intake needs to come off and be resealed .

Sounds to me where the “ China rail “ is where we throw the gasket away and use permatex to not have the leak you are describing is infact leaking. Im guessing without any picture of what you have going on or seeing in person .

take it back to shop if you aren’t comfortable doing it and tell them you want it fixed
 

Phil D

Member
Nov 19, 2020
13
2
13
USA
Nov 22, 2020
#31
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #31
I've seen some 20$ thermostat gaskets, has anyone ever used them? & could 1 of them help my leak issue? Thanks for all of the input i've already been given.
 

Potomus Pete

I'm still waiting for the fully nude shots
5 Year Member
Mar 7, 2019
3,344
1,246
153
Sarasota Florida
Nov 22, 2020
#32
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #32
Go to Advanced-The Zone, and get the special thermostat housing sealer. Made for your situation.
 

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 29, 1999
8,500
8,753
234
S.I.NY
Nov 22, 2020
#33
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #33
Phil D said:
I've seen some 20$ thermostat gaskets, has anyone ever used them? & could 1 of them help my leak issue? Thanks for all of the input i've already been given.
Click to expand...
Stock gasket. Dimple rtv very thin on both sides and never a leak .
 
Reactions: General karthief and Rdub6
M

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
1,387
851
133
Lafayette,IN
Nov 22, 2020
#34
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #34
This right here.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201122_193719405.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: nickyb

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,962
2,943
153
Long Island, NY
Nov 22, 2020
#35
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #35
TOOLOW91 said:
Stock gasket. Dimple rtv very thin on both sides and never a leak .
Click to expand...
Yep...... did mine this way months ago.... dry as a bone!
 
Reactions: Phil D

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,683
213
polk county florida
Nov 22, 2020
#36
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #36
I've used the cheap 50¢ gasket successfully.
But again, I get lucky.
 

Phil D

Member
Nov 19, 2020
13
2
13
USA
Nov 22, 2020
#37
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #37
Monkeybutt2000 said:
This right here.
Click to expand...
Thanks brother, & is it okay to put that on the intake side?
 

Phil D

Member
Nov 19, 2020
13
2
13
USA
Nov 22, 2020
#38
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #38
90sickfox said:
Make sure your thermostat bolts aren't too long. I've seen that cause leaks from not sealing completely. Very common issue.

I'm a certified Advanced engine performance technician ( sounds good )...been working on cars over 20yrs....if it isn't a cadillac Northstar engine do not put stop leak in it.

You want to use surf glue on the thermostat gasket...blue permatex....put a little to hold the thermostat in the housing first. ( just the metal that goes in the recess ). Let it sit for a few minutes to hold the thermostat in. Then coat both sides of the gasket and put it on. If the bolts go through to coolant ports they may need sealer too.
Click to expand...
It's the stock housing & bolts, I installed it just the way u said, minus the permatex on the side of the gasket mounting to the lower intake, I was told to stay away from doing that?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,683
213
polk county florida
Nov 22, 2020
#39
  • Nov 22, 2020
  • #39
Make sure the bolt holes are clean, the surface is flat on the intake side, look at the bolt holes to make sure they have not pulled out from over tightening, smear a little rtv on one side of the gasket, make sure the t stat is oriented correct ( some have a bleeder hole or a little gizmo that is like a loose plug, very small, this should be at the top) and put the gasket on the housing with the t sat in place, let it sit for a half hour or so, make sure the t stat is still in place then smear a little rtv on the intake side of the gasket or the intake it self, install the housing to the intake tightening the bolts evenly, I could not find a torque spec in my magic book but it's not a lot. Snug one bolt then the other going back and forth till tight. I let stuff set over night but a hour or two is sufficient.
 
Reactions: 90sickfox and Phil D
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
582
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
T
Fox Convertible top issues
  • TDM389
  • Feb 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
386
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 15, 2026
General karthief
O
Sooty/Oily Front Engine & Pulleys
  • ozenator
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
403
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 22, 2026
Blackhawkxx
Fox Help
  • 93fox85
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
272
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
J
Engine Coolant leak from oil filter
  • jr273
  • Mar 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
333
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?