Any California Modded Cars Have A Few Questions

Cruizer67

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
Kingsburg Ca...
here is a question for California people with modded motors ..
Have you upgraded to EFI?
Did you go to different motor size?
How do the smog check affect you?
If you did pass smog.. what did it take?
Did you have to go to referee station?

Any Help with upgrading in California would be appreciated

Currently own an 84 GT 5.0 and am considering future upgrades

• Sponsors (?)

Oh boy, here we go.... Smog checks in California are strict; every part you install must have a California Air Resource Board (CARB) approval. The approved parts for an 84 5.0 GT are practically none. You can "upgrade" to a later year fuel injection & EEC setup; but you will technically be held to that year's emissions output levels & required to have all of that given year's smog equipment. That includes the thermactor setup, tab & tad sdloinoids, 4-cat H-pipe, etc. Going to a referee station is a permanent "fix" for the modification for say an '89 fuel injection swap; but you might not have to do it & it costs $ on top of registration fees. Our cars are older than many of the people smogging them. Your vin is entered into the CARB system; but it does not know or give any more detail other than to ask the tech.,"Is it a 4,6,or V8?". They touch the screen to test after looking at your motor. So, unless he really knows his stuff; he won't differentiate between a carb'd V8 or a fuel injected V8. You can go with a stroker motor; but the benefit is limited by the cam profile you need to pass smog. I was able to pass my EFI stroker 331cid engine; but I had a custom cam profiled to make sure I passed. What sux is you don't make any more horsepower with the cam limited stroker; but you do make more torque. It is possible to find a friendly shop willing to get you through the hurdles; but it is getting tougher & more expensive to find these individuals due to their risks. Years ago, it took $250 to get my then highly modified car to pass. Personally, I'd shoot\build for '89. I'd actually build a roller motor & then smog it. If I have to go to a referee; then I'd be okay with getting to smog to '89 year specific numbers. I'm sure you'll get the info from them if they need you to go visit a ref.... The best part of smogging to an '89 year; you'll be able to purchase smog legal shorty headers, run AFR165\185 heads, & install a legal supercharger setup on it if you so choose. If you have a local speed shop with a great reputation; I'm sure conferring with them & maybe laying out the plan together would be very beneficial.... ;)