Any thoughts on Costco & other generic gas?

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
With the price of premium fuel out here on the left coast climbing to $2.35+ at Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc, it's hard to pass by the Costco, Terrible Herbst, Rotten Robbie gas stations when their premium is 25 or 30 cents a gallon cheaper. I've yet to hear any arguments on the benefits of the name brand gas - Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc. Are there any chemists or oil refinery people out there that can tell me why I shouldn't patronize the cheaper generic gas stations? Is there a difference in the gas? Doesn't it all come from the same refineries? Come on guys, let's open up this discussion.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought gas at Cosco when I lived in NY. Cheaper and my car ran fine.

A couple places in Boston have cheap gas. One sells absolute 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me', but the other place is great. But I am sure it all depends on the individual stastion.

I have heard each station adds different detergents to their gas, but I have seen the same delivery truck service the Name Brander and the Cheapo guy across the street.

I'm not a chemist or Oil refinery person.

They have cheap gas because of the same reason they have cheap everything else. I'm sure it's not inferior in any way. There is a gas station her in town that is always $.20 less than everywhere else, it's just a little place called the "Sean Express" :)rlaugh:). I wondered if their gas sucked so I got some one day. In my camaro you can real tell when you get crappy gas. It was just as good as the 93 all over town :shrug:. I work at a "Mobil" station, our gas comes in the Same Eagle fuels trucks. Maybe "eagle" is just a transport company :shrug: anyway I'm rambling. I'm sure Wal-Mart/Costco/Sam's/ etc gas is just as godd as anywhere elses. :nice:

I remember my science teacher saying once that there actually is a reason for the cost difference. I've never really thought to check to back it up, but this is what he said. When they pipe the refined fuel from a refinery (he cited the Alaska pipeline) they use one pipe for different grades of fuel and types (diesel, for example). The fuel is pumped and then a delay is had. After the delay, new fuel is pumped through, but some old fuel remains in the line. This mixes with the new fuel and creates a less refined blend. That fuel is sold to cheapo gas companies at a discount, and they in turn sell it at a lower cost. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the petroleum industry, so I can't say for sure whether its universally true or just for certain refineries, or even if its true at all, but if it does work like that it makes sense.

Dan

diesel doesnt come from a bad type of oil... its made from one of the first stages in the refining process and thus is why its generally an oily based fuel and very dirty (diesel engines require a huge fuel filter and needs to be changed constantly) also thats the reason for the ammount of carbon in the exhaust...

just my 2 cents; years ago early 90's i had a camaro with a small block(85 z) car was all stock except flows and an open filter. being i was in high school i was broke allways. i used the local exxon station with out thinking about it. then these sheetz stores started to pop up. their gas was way cheaper. so i switched to that. both were being used in 93 form. after about a month or so performance dropped off drasticly. really don't know what happened but it made a slow car real slow! after running differnt cleaners and additives through it, it actually came back around to just a slow car.(gotta love the mid eighties v8's 165hp--ooh!) now this car was carbed but had a comp for the emmisions s#$t. i'm sure things should be differnt now, but after being burnt once it won't happen again. something else to think about. if your car is new you paid atleast mid twenties or over thirty for the real nice ones(mach, cobra) or you've invested tons of money and time in your motor. is it really worth saving 2 maybe 3 bucks? the greatest thing i hear is when my buddies complain about price of gas but yet they smoke, chew, and drink! i drive an 04 gt and just bought my wife an 04 expedition. now that has a 28 gallon tank. i don't know what'll be worse having to pay around 60 bucks to fill it up or having to stand there for ten minutes!! just a joke i love the truck. just my 2 cents and then some

Running cheap gas isn't worth blowing your engine so,I
only run Chevron or Texaco in my stang.When you get
a bad tank of gas you will stop running the cheap gas!

Far as I know it all comes from the same 2 or 3 BIG producers (Exxon, Mobil and Imperial?). Stay away from places that don't do alot of business as their fuel can sometimes age past it's "best before date" and contain more water.

HD