Anybody ever change a Honda Cv axle before?

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
when i come home im able to make 250 bucks cash to change the cv axles(both of them) in my friends 97 automatic civic. Ive only done a few Toyotas before, would Honda be any different? I no Honda had some gay Rotor and hub bolted together assembly. Anything special i need to do? Any ideas, tip or tricks would be great:nice: BTW yea i no its not a stang sorry

• Sponsors (?)

Nah, shouldn't be a problem. I did some on an Accord a while back, and I can't remember the specifics, but it wasn't bad at all. IIRC removing or replacing the rotors is a bitch... but you don't need to do that.

i dont remember the year it was, but i wrenched on one that was wrecked, and instead of removing the strut completely, remove the top bolt that the spindle bilts to, and just loosen the bottom one. it gave me enough play to turn the spindle, and get the axle out. i did have to use a long prybar to pop the axle out tho, it was the factory one, and didnt wanna budge. oh, and have a drip pan underneath there to catch the fluid. if the car is unlevel at all, you may lose some fluid.. in other owrds, dont be laying right under the axle when you pop it loose

I have a 91 civic beater it's not a big job. YOu have to drop the spindle: split the upper ball joint, you might need a pickle fork. disconnect the tie rod end and the shock that's it really. I believe it's a 32 mm bolt on the axle. All together it took about 30 mins each side with a break for "refreshments"

Cool thanks, ill give him the go ahead to get the new axles, I normally jack that side of the car up so the fluid wont come out. I did the one on my dads Yota Corolla and we had to heat up the nut with a torch to get it off it was so tight. it also had 260,000 orignal miles on it though haha Anybody ever have a problem with the part of the axle in the trans not come out easy? One time i pulled by the end of the axle and ripped it out of the cv socket, i had to use a long extension with a BF hammer to get the axle out. Any tips on this, how do You take the axles out?

I dont know how the halfshaft is held in the trans, but if it is retained by a snap ring (on the splined halfshaft shaft), I use a gentle prybar against the trans case and pry against the halfshaft.

On some cars this is not possible.

Good luck.