Anybody tried LED tail lights?

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I've been looking for some way to make my tail lights brighter, and so far I haven't really found anything other than different style lights like the 96-98's or ricer lights. I was looking into LED replacement bulbs, but I've been getting conflicting information on those. Some people say the standard bulbs are brighter and others claim the LED's are brighter. :shrug:

What I would like to do is separate the housing from the lens and fill it with LED's along the entire length of the lens. The problem is I don't know how to do that and these lights are too expensive to replace if I screw them up. I do have an old busted light that I tried to take apart, but it started cracking before I made much progress.

• Sponsors (?)

Mike, do you have saleen tail light bezels?

The reason i ask is maybe you can take a high speed saw and cut out the lens, epoxy it back in, and then the bezel will cover up this modification.

Can you not get to it from the back?

I too wish someone would just make a 94-95 tail light with clear red plastic and a reflector like the stock 96-98's to give that "jewel" look.

FWIW, i have never heard of an led being not as bright as a regular bulb.

Keep us up to date on your project!

I had mine tinted, but it didn't come out near as dark as I was expecting. I think they do look a little brighter now with a clear coat on them. But I want them darker, which is the main reason I'm looking into better lighting.

I've got an old tail light I can work with. Should I try to use a heat gun to separate the lens from the housing, or just cut it apart? I've seen plastic welding kits that should work to put it back together if I cut it apart.