Anyone cut their antenna?

• Sponsors (?)

The ball on the end of the antenna comes off. It has a hole on it and slips over the end of the rod. Just use some pliers and tap it off. Then cut the antenna as long as you want and put the ball on.

Mustang5L5 said:
The ball on the end of the antenna comes off. It has a hole on it and slips over the end of the rod. Just use some pliers and tap it off. Then cut the antenna as long as you want and put the ball on.
you can do that but you get less reception that way. best to buy a better thicker short aftermarket antenna.

I cut mine off about an inch higher than the hood of the car. At, first I didn't like it but I got used to it and remembered how dumb it looked before. I just ripped the little ball off and glued it back on. I think it took me 5 minutes total... I think it looks better now. I didn't notice a difference in reception but I did notice when a big 18 wheeler pulls up next to me the signal fades out and before it didnt.

i am going to cut mine off shorter. if the ball does not fit all you have to do is file the shaft a little so it will fit back again. $30 is too much. all i ever listen to is the cd player any way. just want to keep it looking close to factory.

I hacked 12" off of mine, and when I took my last pictures, I forgot to put it back on. Even without it, as I was driving around today, I was able to receive all stations.

I will put it back on, but it is easy to do, and really makes it look better.

I popped the ball off with a wrench set really small, then I cut 12" off, filed down the tip a little with a stationary circular sander, and filed the tip so that I could jam the ball on there really good, after that I painted it flat black.

You could also use some JB weld?:shrug:

Mustang5L5 said:
It all depends on which looks better to you.

Short and stubby or long and thin

;)
oh Mike, oh Mike. is it possible to get two CT's? LOL. i sense a trend with you. :)

if no one mentioned it, you can get the curly cue antenna from AZ for 5 bucks. i like mine and the reception is fine (about the same overall length for reception, but cued up).

HISSIN50 said:
if no one mentioned it, you can get the curly cue antenna from AZ for 5 bucks. i like mine and the reception is fine (about the same overall length for reception, but cued up).

Yep got one like that too. Here's a pic, if you can see it well enough. :shrug:
573472_2_full.jpg

I bought a shorty one for UPR for $32. Looks mint and has the same reception. Everyone always wants to know where I got it when I pull up somewhere because they are tired of having that mast on their car. If you go to my cardomain page (below in sig) you can see the way it looks.