Anyone do a 5 lug swap with 98 Spindles?

clintjackson

Jun 7, 2011
Not sure if I should be asking this question here or the area for S95 cars but here goes. I did a swap using 98 Cobra spindles hubs ect, ect on a 92 vert. I'm feeling, for lack of better words, the feeling that something in the front is rubbing. Nothing comes close to the tires unless the wheel is locked up either way and then they rub on the lower a arm. The 'rub' or 'vibration is happening when the tires are barely turned (either way) and the car is casually making a turn after stopping. I feel nothing going straight. The question is this. I'm going back to Shawb on Monday morning and I'd like to tell the guy what he may need to set his machine for. Does he align as if it was a 98 Cobra or a 92 GT? I thought I read somewhere in all the preparation for this swap that the later spindles had different angles built in. I installed new everything except for the hubs and steering rack and I put new bushings in that. So, struts, ball joints, tierod ends, a-arm bushings, rotors, caster/camber plates all new. I'm convinced that is an adjustment that needs to be made by the alignment tech but i'm not sure which way to steer him. Has anyone who has used these later parts experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated. This has become my main source of information of late. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

the problem that youre running into is that the 96-98 spindles push the tires out more than the stock spindles, even the 94-95's do to a lesser degree, and the 99-04's are even worse. the alignment may help (go for the stock fox specs if theyre any different, really shouldnt be by much), but the right wheel offset or the earlier spindles are the best options to getting rid of the rub.

Backically, when you push the wheels put farther, as the 96+ spindles do, the wheel makes a greater arc when it is turned side to side. So you are probably rubbing on the inner fenders. The fix? Don't tuen the wheel as far. This is why 94/95 spindles are preferred, but not absolutely necessary.

Align the car as close to a 92 gt as he can get it.

When they had it on the rack full weight on the tires he turned the wheels side to side full lock and the tires never came close to anything. Maybe the term 'scruffing' the road is better. It's like for just an instance the tires are working against each other and once they staighten back out, everythings good again. Come Monday, I'll have hime recheck the clearances and align to the 92. Thanks, I post the results Monday night.

Update

After visiting the alignment shop for the second time the tech went over everything carefully this time. Found play in inner tie rods and the sway bar bushings looked rough. I did not replace those items but they are on order now. Maybe that will take care of the abnormal vibration feeling while turning.