Anyone drive a cammed Mustang GT in winter snow?

Stangg338

Dec 17, 2019
Utah
I've been driving my 01 Mustang GT in the winter snow for about 2 years now and it's always a challenge (I live in Wisconsin). It's my DD by the way. I was thinking about doing cams just for the sound but since I'd be driving in all seasons (quite literally all seasons along with all season TIRES), wouldn't it theoretically be harder for me to drive in the snow with a bit more power? Or are the power gains not enough to give me a more bigger headache when driving in snow? Anyone drive a cammed Mustang GT in the snow? I've been thinking how it would look goofy to just see a cammed Mustang stuck in the snow, that's my only fear lol. Convince me to not get cams or persuade me in getting them.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Depends on the cams. Some generate power at higher rpm at the expense of low end torque. Since you’ll be lugging 2nd or 3rd gear even, you might actually end up having less power.

of course next question would be drivability at low RPM.

Of course snow tires are a must, and a winter beater would be preferred. You’ll want to keep an eye on your strut towers. Salt eats those out

Depends on the cams. Some generate power at higher rpm at the expense of low end torque. Since you’ll be lugging 2nd or 3rd gear even, you might actually end up having less power.

of course next question would be drivability at low RPM.

Of course snow tires are a must, and a winter beater would be preferred. You’ll want to keep an eye on your strut towers. Salt eats those out
I would be Getting the "least aggresive" stage 2 cams by MHS if I were to get the cams, which are known for "giving power all throughout the powerband". I just ordered 4 all seasons (Goodyear Exhilarate) which are top of the line for all season tires apparently for stangs & beamers, I can't really afford winter tires, I thought about just getting 2 tires for the rear but that could make things worse or better. And I can't get a winter beater because of no storage.

I drove my 03 GT through a couple winters on all-seasons. I managed, but I got stuck a few times and slid around quite a bit.

Add some weight in the trunk, along with a shovel and some kitty litter to toss under the tires if you get stuck. Bum rides when you can.

Reactions: 1 user