Anyone ever change their key/ignition in the steering column?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Mine is going bad....i'll be driving down the street and the car will just die, and i've traced this to the key itself. If i put a slight amount of pressure forward on the key it doesn't die, and when i start the car if i don't do the same it dies right after it fires up. I can be going down the road and slightly push back on the key....not far enough to go into the off position, we're talking not even a 1/16 of an inch back, it dies. So i'm guessing either a wire is loose or the whole thing is toast.

How complicated is it to change? I'm sure it's no huge deal, i've just never had to change one. Also does anyone know for sure if Ford even sells these anymore? How much if so?

• Sponsors (?)

Any chance it could be something other than the cylinder? I've never even had one apart so i'm unsure what to expect...any chance this could just be a loose wire in the cylinder?

In my T-Bird it started smoking one day. So I took a trip to AutoZone got a book and it told me how to do it. Mine got too the point that it would not turn. There is the ignition switch under there. That thing is pain to change. But yours sounds like the key lock.

the ignition key cylinder is cake to change, just gotta take off the plastic shroud, put in the key and turn it, push the little round button on the bottom with a little screwdriver or something and comes right out, although I dont see how just that might affect the actual ignition circuit, thats just a lock n turns the actual ignition device in the column, theres no wire connection (one single purple wire but thats for the dinger noise thing i think).......Someone correct me if im wrong, just my 2 cents

it isnt ur key cylinder farther down on the column there is a switch ur key cylinder sends a rod down to it. it unbolts with 2 bolts i had to use channel locks to get them off. its about 13 dollars at the parts store. i had it fo bad about 2 months ago doing the same thing ur saying.

I just fixed mine a couple of months ago....I would have to hold the key to drive the car. I replaced the ignition switch(to fix my turn signals) and key cylinder (to keep the car from dying). The whole process took about 30min and cost $24!

it isnt ur key cylinder farther down on the column there is a switch ur key cylinder sends a rod down to it. it unbolts with 2 bolts i had to use channel locks to get them off. its about 13 dollars at the parts store. i had it fo bad about 2 months ago doing the same thing ur saying.

ding ding ding

There is no switch in the key lock cylinder, it is the ignition switch that is going bad. It is easy to replace and most auto parts places keep them in stock.