Anyone ever re-cover their steering wheel?

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
My stock grey leather steering wheel has seen better days. It is messed up and kinda bugs me. I have looked at the FR500 wheel and that is looking good. I just wanna see if anyone has had it done. No one around here seems to want the job. I found a website www.wheelskins.com which seems pretty good. But im just not sure. What have you guys done?

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought a FR500 wheel from americanmuscle.com, it comes in tomorrow. I've got the gray interior.

I'll post a detailed writeup and pics on the install once I put it in (this weekend?).

Got some pics of it on a black and on a gray interior here: http://www.mustang-tech.org/wiki/Parts:FR500

Wes

Awesome! Are you going to keep the grey air bag? That is what i had planned on doing if i went with an FR500. Looking forward to the info!

I just bought a FR500 wheel from americanmuscle.com, it comes in tomorrow. I've got the gray interior.

I'll post a detailed writeup and pics on the install once I put it in (this weekend?).

Got some pics of it on a black and on a gray interior here: http://www.mustang-tech.org/wiki/Parts:FR500

Wes
Man you are just trying to make me spend money arent ya? lol

Awesome! Are you going to keep the grey air bag? That is what i had planned on doing if i went with an FR500. Looking forward to the info!

I'm going to try it with the gray airbag and see how it looks. If it turns out to look differently than what the pictures I've seen look like, I will take it and the steering column cover to the upholstery shop to be painted black.

Man you are just trying to make me spend money arent ya? lol

Watch it, you'll be wanting an autotragic transmission before it's over. :D

Wes

FR500 Installed!

I got the FR500 steering wheel installed this afternoon. I got a ginormous increase in POTH performance. (Palm of the Hand)

It was a very simple install - took about an hour and a half including taking pictures. I'd bet most guys could do it in an hour on the first go around.

The wheel feels great - much thicker and much softer.

I'll have a full write-up on the wiki later on, in the meantime, how about some pictures?

583251356_14b54e5be1.jpg

Old vs New

583258674_e1c4357f6a.jpg

Head On Shot

583260106_c648c46dc7.jpg

Driver's Side Shot

582927625_13b706f49b.jpg

Passenger Side Shot

583258044_610a16360e.jpg

Another Passenger Side Shot

The whole album is here.

Stanger007: Thanks for that write up and those pictures. It look nice like that. I still think that the black is alittle to light for me. It would end up bugging me. I guess ill just stay on the look out for a good steering wheel. WHat kind of shape is your grey one in?

Stanger007: Thanks for that write up and those pictures. It look nice like that. I still think that the black is alittle to light for me. It would end up bugging me. I guess ill just stay on the look out for a good steering wheel. WHat kind of shape is your grey one in?

My grey one is in OK shape, I can send you some pics of it if you'd like. Send me a PM with your email addy.

Wes