Anyone have any info on Carburating a Modular?

• Sponsors (?)

triggz said:
Edelbrock makes (or is about to release) a carb-friendly intake.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that. I'm not sure if there are other carb intakes for the 4.6 but I could be wrong. I know Al Papito is making something crazy like 500rwhp N/A with a carbed 5.4L... some people just find a carb/distributor setup is much easier to work with, and their voices should be heard too! As jstreet said, you will need to find a way to drive a distributor... I believe Scott@VT is using a cog-drive system with a special mounting bracket to run the distributor on his 5.4, so he may be able to help you with that.

MBDiagMan said:
I apologize for answering a question with a question, but WHY????

Cleaner engine bay, and the average guy can tune it, are the main reasons I have seen people switch to carbs. I wouldn't do it because I like the flexibility of efi, but growing up on carb engines, I know a lot of people that just never got comfortable with efi.

jstreet0204 said:
Cleaner engine bay, and the average guy can tune it, are the main reasons I have seen people switch to carbs. I wouldn't do it because I like the flexibility of efi, but growing up on carb engines, I know a lot of people that just never got comfortable with efi.
I see that...just wouldn't go through the trouble to do it on a modular but that's just me.

Here's the EFI one:

FORD 4.6L V8
VICTOR JR. 4.6L SOHC EFI (Up to 7500 rpm)
Victor Jr. 4.6L SOHC EFI is based on the Victor Jr. 4.6L SOHC manifold #2838. This new EFI manifold allows you to convert a 1999-2004 SOHC Modular 4.6L Ford engine for use with a standard flange competition style throttle body or elbow. Features stock injector locations.
Victor Jr. 4.6L SOHC EFI #28385*
Victor Jr. 4.6L SOHC EFI and Fuel Rail Kit #28386*

Throttle Body Recommendations: Edelbrock #38783.
Installation Notes: Recommended intake gasket: OEM factory O-rings. Manifold height: A-4.75", B-4.75", 0° carb angle. See page 46. Port exit dimensions: 1.42" x 1.72".

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/company/pdf/06_080-098(manifolds).pdf

FORD 4.6L V8
VICTOR JR. FORD 4.6L SOHC (2900-7500 rpm)
Following in the footsteps of our Victor Jr. LS1 intake, our new Victor Jr. intake for Ford 4.6L SOHC Modular engines allows the customer to take any 1999-2004 SOHC Modular 4.6L engine and convert it for use with a carburetor. It includes an electronic Timing Control Module, which picks up MAP, Crank Position, and Cam Position, and drives the stock Coil-on-Plug system. With your choice of multiple timing curves, you can tailor your ignition curve for different camshafts and fuel grades. Timing control module
available seperately. Manifold also available with injector bosses for fuel injection, see pages 121-123.

Vicor Jr. carbureted manifold for 4.6L Ford SOHC with electronics....................................#2839

Victor Jr. carbureted manifold for 4.6L Ford SOHC without electronics...............................#2838

Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC EFI manifold only .................................................. .......................#28385
Timing Control Module .................................................. ...................#91237