Anyone have Moser 28-spline axles?

• Sponsors (?)

I have them because I had to replace my stock ones (mechanic error) and figured I'd go to stronger better ones that are cheaper than oem, they haven't seen the track but are supposed to be stronger than stock :shrug:

dew22 said:
I have them because I had to replace my stock ones (mechanic error) and figured I'd go to stronger better ones that are cheaper than oem, they haven't seen the track but are supposed to be stronger than stock :shrug:

do us a favor please :) put some slicks on you car & take it to the track & launch it coming off the rev limiter & let us know what happens :D we need to know

c2see21 said:
do us a favor please :) put some slicks on you car & take it to the track & launch it coming off the rev limiter & let us know what happens :D we need to know

Trying to get a guy to screw up his car huh? :stick: Geeeeeez. LOL

I'm interested in this as well. I'm adding a SC and some gears and can't afford to do the complete diff and 31's right now. Someone please enlighten us.

According to the mach1registry.com the forged 28 spline axles are about 25% stronger than the stock axles.

Apparently there have been atleast a couple guys that have been running 4.10's and forged 28 splines and they snapped the axles in just a few runs. (There is also more power in the Mach, of course...)

Truthfully, I plan on just doing an entire rear-end rebuild.... why waste the money of putting in 28 splines when you have a pretty good chance you are gonna have to just go back and buy the 31 splines later.

FRPP 4.10's, FRPP Trac-Lok Diff, and Moser 31 Splines sounds like the way to go.

340.29m/s said:
According to the mach1registry.com the forged 28 spline axles are about 25% stronger than the stock axles.

Apparently there have been atleast a couple guys that have been running 4.10's and forged 28 splines and they snapped the axles in just a few runs. (There is also more power in the Mach, of course...)

Truthfully, I plan on just doing an entire rear-end rebuild.... why waste the money of putting in 28 splines when you have a pretty good chance you are gonna have to just go back and buy the 31 splines later.

FRPP 4.10's, FRPP Trac-Lok Diff, and Moser 31 Splines sounds like the way to go.

It is the way to go, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. That's a pretty costly mod once you factor in all the parts and the cost to get the rear end set up. Some people can't afford that, but they can afford the 28 spline Mosers, and they get a little added protection. I'm one of those guys, I'll be buying a house in the near future, plus adding in the cost of the SC and 3.73's, I won't be able to afford the 31 spline setup anytime soon.

What I don't get is that a local guy has raced Fox-body Mustangs for years and I mentioned that I was worried about breaking an axle and he looked at me like I was retarded and then told me about all these guys he knows running DRs/slicks on factory 8.8s that have never had any problems.

But then again, a Mustang shop about 45minutes south of me acted like I was retarded when I wanted to have my torque boxes and axle tubes welded up and I was trying to get pricing from him. He said he would do it, but then he went on to tell me that his 10-sec Fox had been running like that for about 5 years and hasn't broken a thing.

Are our cars that much heavier than a Fox body that makes it tougher on the drivetrain or something? :shrug:

I can't advise you on the Moser 28 splines, but I can tell you this. My buddy drives a 10.4 second automatic 5.0 car with a 275 horse shot of nitrous. He launches at about 3,500 RPM on the juice and runs 1.5 second 60' times on slicks. He's raced it for a few years with a totally stock rear -- right down to the 3.08s -- with no issues. I go and launch my 13 second 2k3 GT at 4,500 on Drag Radials and snap both stock axles and demolish the stock carrier. Go figure . . . Obviously, I invested in 31 spline replacement parts.