Digital Tuning Anyone Here Any Good With A Moates Quarterhorse?

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Picked up a Moates Quarterhorse and PLX wideband earlier this summer and since it's winter here and I've got some downtime with the car I thought I'd tinker a bit. Looking for some very basic starting points.

I don't have a really exotic combo, but the list of mods is substantial, so I imagine there's going to be a lot for me to go through.

I know, the standard response is "head over to EEC Tuning.org" and trust me, I'd done that....but the site seems to be in a severe state of disarray. About 2/3 of the "meat and potatoes" links are dead....and have been for months? Not sure if administration over there just gave up, but the site seems severely neglected and next to useless right now for a someone looking to poke around a bit and get a handle on things?

So....who's up for giving a quick tutorial? How about a few extensive ones? If they're good, I'll add them to our permanent FAQ and sticky sections.

• Sponsors (?)

Holy Christ.....anyone have a basic....and I mean BASIC write up on how to even get started? Jumping into the middle of various tuning threads might as well be like trying to learn greek from scratch. Tonnes of information over there, but it's serious information overload. It's pretty hard to get a handle on it, when you can't even find a starting point?

Hmmm... no QH experience but I do know my way around other software..... if your list is mostly bolt ons then the maf transfer curve is what you need to focus on.
Then go to timing, the stock curve on the a9l is pretty weak. I like to be "all in" by 2400 rpm,

I'll take a look at any files i may still have around. I was also using the QH and a PLX but didnt do my own tuning.

Might be helpful assuming you and I were running a lot of the same (or at least similar components)

Hmmm... no QH experience but I do know my way around other software..... if your list is mostly bolt ons then the maf transfer curve is what you need to focus on.
Then go to timing, the stock curve on the a9l is pretty weak. I like to be "all in" by 2400 rpm,
Oh at this point, I almost wished I'd stuck with "mostly bolt ons" lol

I'll give you the run down...

331 CHP stroker 10:1 CR
Compams XE274HR installed straight up
lightly ported GT40X heads (approx 60cc) with FRPP 1.6RR
Port matched Trick Flow Track Heat intake
30lb/hr injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 255lph high pressure fuel pump
70mm Accufab throttle body
3.5" Anderson Power pipe
Pro-M 80mm MAF
BBK 1 5/8" coated long tubes
catted 2 1/2" H-pipe
2 1/2" cat back.

Few other odds and ends, but those are the real big ones.

All rocking a functioning smog set up to boot. :D

I'm sure the big issues are to tune for are the displacement, the injectors and the MAF....but I need some sort of starting point to work from? I can't even get it to idle properly at this point?!? I'll use Binary Editor if I absolutely must, but I'd really like to give TunerPro RT a shot. For starters, it's suposed to work better with the Moates hardware, it's free and I can run it on as many PC's as I want to.

Contact Willie Lynch at dirtydirtyracing.com he is a guru and always eager to help.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I'm really trying to get a handle on this on my own....and am also trying to do it for no additional cost. First and foremost I know that Willy has a business to run, so I really don't want to aggravate him with what I'm sure are simplistic questions ....especially since I didn't buy the hardware from him and am trying to get away without spending any more money on the set up.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm starting to work my way around it a little now. Its certainly a steep learning curve. The information is out there.....but it's anything but straight forward.

I've managed to load in and tweak a modified version of an A9L tune to suit my mods and the car seems to at least start and idle much more smoothly than it did. Won't be doing any driving data logs for a while though....we just got a foot of snow over the last week. Gonna spend my time tinkering and trying to perfect the idle and cold start for now.

I do recall hearing that @addermk2 was pretty good with the Quarterhorse, though I'm not sure what he uses for software.

The majority seem to use Binary Editor, but thus far I've elected to go with TunerPro RT. I guess Binary Editor has the support base (being as so many people are using it) but I'm told TurnerPro RT operates more quickly and smoothly with the Quarterhorse? Not to mention its free and doesn't require the use of a "dongle" to operate on multiple computers?

I have the qh and be... Decipha did my tune... I know enough to screw something up.. Lol. I agree I thought the learning curve is pretty steep. Pretty sure you shouldn't worry about getting idle dialed in perfectly until your fuel is dialed in though.

Sent from my iPhone