Anyone know how to replace vertical 1/4 weatherstrip on a 91 Vert?

TheBocSez

Feb 3, 2004
Converse, TX
I have a 91 LX vert. I bought new vertical 1/4 glass weather stripping from 50 resto. This is the weather strip that seals the gap between the door glass and the 1/4 glass. It appears that its held into place by two metal trim pieces (one on each side of the 1/4 window) but I have no idea how to get the old off and the new on. Does it slide off? Do I need to somehow remove the metal trim on the 1/4 window? Completely lost. Any help is appreciated. I need to get it done before the rain ruins my new carpeting.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have nver seem anyone say they could remove it successfully - I sure cuoldn't. I would ask whoever you bought the replacements from for some suggestions on how to get the old ones off. I found good glass with good gaskets and replaced the window.

I hate to have to do that since I just paid 45.00 for the weatherstripping. I guess I could return it and use that money to look for replacement glass. Out of curiosity, what type of professional shop would replace weather stripping? An upholstery shop or maybe a window replacement business?

I got those new parts from 5.0 Resto. The new ones will slide in, a little soapy water will help. That's the easy part. The hard part will be taking the old ones out. I kinda ended up ripping the old ones out, using needle nose plier to grab and twist the metal channel in the weatherstripping until they came free.

tripleblackragtop said:
I got those new parts from 5.0 Resto. The new ones will slide in, a little soapy water will help. That's the easy part. The hard part will be taking the old ones out. I kinda ended up ripping the old ones out, using needle nose plier to grab and twist the metal channel in the weatherstripping until they came free.

Thanks Triple, thats what I was looking for. So you just tore the old stuff away, cleaned out the channel the applied some soapy water to the new ones and the just slide in from the top? I'll give that a try this weekend.

Its done!! What I ended up doing was spraying just a little bit of penetrant into the metal channel holding the weather stripping, waited for a few minutes then with the top down, grabbed the top of the WS with some pliars and pulled straight up. It came out with no problems and all in 1 piece. I then did as mentioned and added a little soapy water to the new ones and they slid right in, a little WS sealant at the top to hold it to the glass and its a done deal. Thanks again for all the help. Tmoss, you can now add at least 1 person who was able to do it sucessfully LOL. Thanks again guys!!