anyone know size of TPS bolts? need to replace

i wanted to install my bigger TB and the original TPS screws are seized. so the head stripped when trying to get them loose. but none of the local auto parts store can tell me what the size is so i can replace them.
go figure their all mighty computer can't tell them what size hardware the parts they sell use. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

donkey_punch said:
i wanted to install my bigger TB and the original TPS screws are seized. so the head stripped when trying to get them loose. but none of the local auto parts store can tell me what the size is so i can replace them.
go figure their all mighty computer can't tell them what size hardware the parts they sell use. :nonono:

That is very typical.

You will have to extract the screw to find the thread size/pitch. I can't remember for the life of me what size it is. I tried searching too.

Remove the throttle body first. Makes it a million times easier. Cut/drill/grind the head of the screws off, remove the tps, take vice grips and clamp down on the remaining part of the screw. Remove and take it to the hardware store. Just don't clamp down too far down, you want to save some of the threads.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Remove the throttle body first. Makes it a million times easier. Cut/drill/grind the head of the screws off, remove the tps, take vice grips and clamp down on the remaining part of the screw. Remove and take it to the hardware store. Just don't clamp down too far down, you want to save some of the threads.
Scott

TB beens off the car. what you said was what i was planning on doing, but i figure a. i would end up destroying the TB cause i'm just a savage or b. destroying a finger or two.
the main reason i wanted to know the size was so i could just buy a new TPS and new screws and put them on the new TB and not hassle with it.

thanks Scott

95cobraguy said:
hope it aint too late but the bolts are metric, 5mm-.8
no its not too late, work and the kid have taken up all of my time the last couple of days. Thank You:hail2:

donkey_punch said:
thats what i wanted to do but these damn things are moving.

I see I kind of zip over that - my bad. Do what Mo_dingo said. You can get a pair of needle nose vise grips to clamp on them although I think it would be easier with the TB on the car for leverage. I've had to do this in the past. After removal, I put some antisieze on them for future removal.

Methodical said:
I see I kind of zip over that - my bad. Do what Mo_dingo said. You can get a pair of needle nose vise grips to clamp on them although I think it would be easier with the TB on the car for leverage. I've had to do this in the past. After removal, I put some antisieze on them for future removal.

You could also put the TB in a vice as well.

You can drill the head off if you take your time. Start with a 1/16 drill bit to get the hole center, then expand from there. Again, take your time, and it will be easy.

You have to take off the TPS anyway, b/c you need to know what the ford OEM number is off of it. That way they can cross reference that number and get you the correct replacement part. Most parts stores indiciate 2 different TPS and I can't remember which one it is.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
You could also put the TB in a vice as well.

You can drill the head off if you take your time. Start with a 1/16 drill bit to get the hole center, then expand from there. Again, take your time, and it will be easy.

You have to take off the TPS anyway, b/c you need to know what the ford OEM number is off of it. That way they can cross reference that number and get you the correct replacement part. Most parts stores indiciate 2 different TPS and I can't remember which one it is.
Scott

what are you guys doing reading my mind? lol

i thought i had a set of neddle nose vise grips but i guess they grew legs. but since some very helpful people here know the size of the screws i'm gonna drill them out and put replacements in. jesus what headaches from 2 little screws

Thanks again guys

M5-0.8 x 30mm I bought them at home depot

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 864