Roush Anyone think that the gt500 will effect saleen+roush values?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
I kinda think it will, realistically, it's more car for less money.
I do realize that right now, the price on them is through the roof, but so was the 03 04 cobras, and with 7-10 thousand planned for each of the first 2 years, there should be plenty to go around.

In MM&FF Evan for Freedhold ford here in NJ, got it to go 12.20's, bone stock, stock tires even. Not bad for 42,000.

And in car and driver, the car was only a few steps behind the corvette on the road course.

BTW, i still love the 05+ saleens, just not a big fan of paying low 40's for a car that only runs the quarter .1 quicker than a stock mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Hm I disagree about the more car for less money aspect. If you were to add the wheels, tires, and handling package to the GT500 to make it comparable to the SC Saleen you are pretty close to even money.

The horsepower/weight ratios are a wash between the two with the slight edge going to the SC Saleen in 2007.

Honestly though, if I prefered the looks of the GT500 over the Saleen I would have waited, bought a GT500, modified the handling, etc. But like with all cars personal tastes play a huge factor in the decision making process. All around I prefered the Saleen.

I do think Saleen/Roush etc will see a temporary boost in new car sales as people are drawn to high performance mustangs via the GT500 hype. Once the market gets saturated with GT500's things could change with respect to value. Time will tell.

Well, the handling between the saleen and the gt500 is likely not all that much different, if the gt500 hung decently with a near perfect balanced corvette, even beat it in a few sections.

Wheels, saleen screwed that up, the 19's they were supposed to offer looked alot better than the 20's. Saleen has almost always used some sort of 5 star, and for some reason they didn't this time.

Also gt500 comes with monster brembo brakes standard.
Saleen, nothing unless you pay more.

Gt500 also has an engine with near unlimited potential.

Looks wise i do like the saleen better, but it's hard to ignore 500hp for 42,000. When the new saleen sc hits the street it will still be 52,000+.

Forget about the E car, 75,000 is nuts, when livernois built their magazine car for $69000 and it made about 400 more rwhp.

We live in a day and age where people want more for their money, and $15,000 onto a base mustang for lowering springs, shocks, body kit and rims, is not exactly a value.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea, i'm a huge saleen fan, they have gotten the styling thing, near perfect (other than the rims), i just think they need to compete a little better, it's not only roush out there anymore that's the competition, everyone and their mother is building some kind of mustang.

Maybe on the NA model, offer some cnc 3v heads standard, and pump the hp up 40rwhp. So at least stock mustangs, aren't beating it.

Keep in-mind you will not be paying $42,000 for the GT 500. I was offered the opportunity over a year ago to place a deposit on one, and by the time the dealer made the market adjustment to the price, it came out to $63,000:jaw:

I wonder how the NADA value will look after you pay $63,000 for a car that starts depreciating from $42,000......

dotbomb - i just wanted to make sure i read correctly, are you saying the gt500 needs some modifications to be on par with a s281sc? i would think oppositely, the saleen may be better equipped with suspension and braking but 20" heavy wheels have GOT to put a dampner on the advantage however big or small it may be. not to mention the gt500 will start out with a big advantage in the powerplant department

Gt500 also has an engine with near unlimited potential.
the last i saw a pulley swap was near impossible looking at the pictures, maybe someone found a way around that already? if not, what you see is probably what you get...atleast for awhile

, everyone and their mother is building some kind of mustang.
there are a ton of new 'tuner' mustang versions released lately, but you'll notice which supercharger most of them go with...saleen; which puts the s281sc on par if not better than all of them with the other goodies they come with. the n/a model...well, its always been a fancy-looking gt with the more show than go idea. but for the attention the saleen gets, i didnt mind mine n/a. its all in what you are looking to get out of the car. cobras were a dime a dozen in my area, saleens are another story...atleast the real ones anyway.

Car and Driver has a completely different take on the differences between the Vette and the GT500.

However, when it comes to pure performance, the GT500 has trouble hanging with the Vette.... The major reason is the GT500’s weight and how it is distributed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11151/2007-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500.html

Anyway all this is really splitting hairs. In the end it comes down to personal preference. I'd be proud to own either the Saleen or the GT500. Who knows, when I hit a jackpot maybe I'll trade in my car for a pair of cars. The GT500 and the 2007 E Saleen :)

I read the C&D article, by no means was i saying that the mustang beats the vette, as i said it's a few steps behind. Which is still very good, because the new vette handles exceptionally well. I'd expect no mustang to beat it when they are on equal tires. Hell, even some supercars have trouble with the vette on a road course.
Also take into consideration that they ran a high 12 with the mustang, when MM&FF ran a 12.2.

As far as a pulley change, i'd bet money, certain shops already have gt500 blowers and engines, fords been known to give Pauls high performance things very early.
Remember to add boost, you don't necesarily need to change the blower pulley, you can upsize the crank pulley.

Not trying to be a ball buster dotbomb, but i think more car for less money is a fact, not an opinion.
More HP, bigger brakes, likely similar handling for 42,000.
Look at the quarter mile times for the same price, like 10mph between them.
For 42,000 you get a saleen with nearly nothing. Rims, a body kit and some suspension.
And as i said above, yes people are over paying now, but for a 2 year run they are making up to 20,000 of them. And just like the 03/04 cobra, they will come down to sticker eventually.

If the SC saleen was in the 40's, i'd say it would be a good comparison.

I really wish saleen did things like they did years ago with the s351, it was a monster that no other mustang at the time could compare to.

2000xp8 said:
Not trying to be a ball buster dotbomb, but i think more car for less money is a fact, not an opinion.

No balls busted, no worries. Talking 'stangs and listening to different viewpoints is all good.

I really want to see some GT500's first hand pretty soon that is for sure.

Here's the pic. It is the crank position sensor mount according to the discussion. Also this engine is not the production engine but a show engine so it may be slightly different in production.

There is one shop I know of that has a GT500 production engine and they haven't said anything more than they have the engine and posted a single picture of it.

View attachment 452528

good pic.

I don't see why a blower pulley change is out of the question, looks to be a press on, and looks like it has enough room to shrink it for a few more lbs. of boost. Belt wrap doesn't look like an issue either.

Regardless, some gear head braniac will come up with modifications for this car.