AOD guys, help me find out what gears I have......

I just bought an AOD car and I'm trying to figure out what gears it has. The owner told me that it had stock gears. Like a 3.27 or a 2.73 gear. When I'm running about 60 mph, the stock tach in Overdrive is reading around 1,600-1,700rpms. Does this sound about right for a stock geared car? This is my first auto car so I'm not familiar with AOD's at all. I just figured out that weird 1-D-1 shuffle everyone does. I know it has a shift kit and that's about it. When it hits second it will break loose, but then it shifts straight to D. I'm going to have to get used to this. Anyone with stock gears know what there taching at 60mph?

thanks,

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Ahhhh...the old 1-D-1 shift technique......putting your AOD on the fast track to failure aye?

You're gonna burn up your AOD shifting it that way. When you do that it momentarily engages multiple clutches and creates excessive, unnessicary slippage on the bands. Not very good for the tranny. The AOD is a good tranny contrary to the popular mis-belief that they are weak.

An AOD with a proper convertor, 1 piece input shaft, a shift kit and at least 3.73's out back will be night and day different from what you have now. I myself feel 4.10's are the best gear ever made for the AOD.

Ok, thanks guys. I was trying to figure out which gears to get. The car has a 306 with an explorer upper and lower, 30lb injectors, Novi 1000(5lbs boost), 70mm throttle body, ported E7's, 1.6 roller rockers, with stock exhaust besides 2 chamber flows. I really want to see how much the car wakes up with a gear swap. I'm debating on 3.73 or 4.10's. Need some opinions here guys.

thanks,

Matt

1bad92lx said:
Ok, thanks guys. I was trying to figure out which gears to get. The car has a 306 with an explorer upper and lower, 30lb injectors, Novi 1000(5lbs boost), 70mm throttle body, ported E7's, 1.6 roller rockers, with stock exhaust besides 2 chamber flows. I really want to see how much the car wakes up with a gear swap. I'm debating on 3.73 or 4.10's. Need some opinions here guys.

thanks,

Matt

Based on your combo I'd say 3.73's would be better if you're running 26-ish inch tall tires. 4.10's if you are running 28-ish inch tall tires.

Though if you ran 4.10's with 26" tires, your max speed at 6250 rpm (where the computer cuts fuel) in 3rd gear would be 118 mph. So you could run 4.10's if you wanted.

i have an aod car that sounds about right but i thought they came with 278 gears.BTW the 1-d-1 is VERY bad for your trans and with a shift kit you should not have to do that anyway

purple87lx said:
i have an aod car that sounds about right but i thought they came with 278 gears.BTW the 1-d-1 is VERY bad for your trans and with a shift kit you should not have to do that anyway
nah they came with 2.73s and 3.27s (a0d's)

on your door there should be a little sticker look at which letter is right under AX should be a Z,M, or E

those tell u what kind of gears u have
M=2.73
E=3.27
Z=3.08

stock 92 gt said:
they need to make a clutch specifically for the 121 shuffle...that would pwn

They do. It's made by LenTech and Performance Automatic. :rolleyes: It's a valvebody that makes the OD function a push button affair. The band wear isn't the problem, it's the momentary engagement of the wrong bands that the 1-D-1 action causes.

With the valve body you can go 1-2-3 and when you want OD push a button to engage it.

It's the only way to fix that anyone has found yet.

How much does that valve body cost? I would definitely want to do that soon. I tried the 1D1 shuffle for the first time tonight. It sure did feel a lot faster. I don't want to burn it up so I want to get that valve body. The tranny already has a shift kit. If you pull off in D, then it shifts to second in like 5 feet and hits D in like 20 feet. I've never seen an auto shift so quickly. I'm getting used to just pulling off in 1 and then shifting to D when I get a little speed because it lugs so bad in D all the time. I'm pretty sure I will just go with 4.10's and an aluminum driveshaft. Thanks for the help guys.