Aod Help

eric mcbride

Aug 7, 2017
First off, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I tried looking and this looked like the best to me. Anyway, i have a 92 Gt with the wonderful AOD or my wife does to be honest. I had a guy at her Ford dealership rebuild it since i didnt want to. Well I ended up doing it anyway as he smashed a roller bearing inside of it as well as stripped the bolt holes for the front pump and was just gonna use an old beat up sprag that was missing bearings. I found all this out during install when i couldnt get the trans to rotate to tighten the driveshaft bolts. So, I installed new bearings, new sprags, checked his install of the clutches, fixed the pump holes, installed a TCI streetfighter vb, hd overdrive band, hd reverse band, TCI overdirve servo, and an FTI 2800 stall and set clearances. Got it back in the car and set the tv cable by feel, which i know isnt the correct way. Ill hook a gauge to it later today. The problem is that itll go into 2nd and then immediately to 3rd. All other gears seem ok so far. And it does this no matter if you manually hold it or just let the trans do the work. So anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Im thinking its something in the trans itself like the vb, which sucks because I've pulled it about 20 times now and i hate every second of it. Any idea is greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I moved this to the tech threads, no worries,
I would go back and punch that guy in the nuts, but other than that I can't help ya, maybe just that cable adjustment needs tweeking.
Someone smarter than me (thats everybody here) will come along and offer up some incite.

Is the valve body designed to "hold" 2nd? Also you can burn the trans up really quick without the proper tv cable adjustment
From the description from TCI it is supposed to hold it when manually shifting the trans. I talked to them and they where clueless...so I ordered a new 2-3 acummulator in hopes that it fixes the problem. If not guess I'm sending a vb back.