AOD problem anyone with experience?

Did you find anything other than clutches. Transtar is where I got my parts. They are local to me but do have an online business. I would do the following. Get the full bearing and bushing kit, the friction kit, the seal kit, and a shift kit. The biggest trouble I had doing mine was the lip seals on the reverse clutch piston. DISCLAIMER I still don't have reverse after having it back apart twice. Air testing shows the reverse clutch applies and holds no leaking, I may have that front diode in backwards. I'm going with a 4R70W and a controller. Cheaper and better in the long run

• Sponsors (?)

The only visible damage that i noticed was inside the forward hub here is the picture:
forward hub aod.jpg

OD Band does not look happy too but i already have new one:
OD band.jpg

Transmission fluid was nice red, clean, no burnt smell, no metal flakes.

I ordered the bushing kit so i hope it will get here before holiday weekend. And ill order the clutches and seal kit. I have installed B&M "shift kit" 2 months ago.

I think vibrations that i get are due to worn bushing/s i think it might be the one inside the forward sun gear...looks a bit tired.

"Transtar Industries" ??? thats crazy they are 1mile away from me

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it is supposed to have one. Yes that could be the source of your vibration. I would make sure all the bushings and bearings were there and in good shape before putting it back together and in. I wouldn't worry about the pistons or seals too much if it was shifting ok before.

I'm getting close to be ready for some road test this weekend, transmission is back together.
Here is what was replaced(old parts)
aod replacement.jpg

I hope that will solve the vibrations issue.

Transmission is back in the car. So far I just started the car and roughly set the TV cable. It seems that everything works, forward and reverse gears, but not yet road tested.

My TV cable procedure is a combination of pressure gauge and feel. Most of the procedures online for the TV cable are for foxbody mustangs etc, where I have 66 mustang(289), the tool they recommend and comes with the Lokar Tv Cable is useless when retrofitting AOD. When I tried to use the tool the TV pressure was 0PSI between 600RPM to 1200RPM. I personally set the pressure at 0-5PSI at Idle and after that I just make very small adjustments, but most important thing for me is that Pressure rises instantly when i press gas pedal. When test the setting I verify that kick-down works, especially going uphill.
This time I installed shift kit "TransGo SK AOD" so Ill call them just to make sure that my TV cable setting still applies. As i mentioned earlier they recommend the tool to setup the TV cable in the instructions for the shift kit.

Here is how i make transmission installation "easy"
AOD guide.jpg

Those are guides to align transmission with engine. Just 2 bolts with slots for screwdriver(just in case when they get stuck). Also helps a lot with Torque converter/flexplate bolts. Screw them in on opposite sides slide the transmission, put the other bolts, remove the "guides" and put the proper bolts....and you are done

• Useful
Mr. Kelley unfortunately after all those new parts im back to square one....vibrations are still there exactly the same. I swapped different rear end(different ratio) and now I can feel the vibrations around 42mph not 32mph(all in 3rd). I guess winter is coming so Ill take a part the transmission and maybe ill find something.

So far i tested the vibrations with:
- 2 different Rearends( 8" 2.78(open) and 9" 3.7 (POSI))
- 2 different Torque Converters (one low and one medium stall speeds)
- Drive shaft - before and after balancing(with yoke and ujoints) same vibrations
- rebuilding the transmission plus shiftkit
- and i put new aluminum wheels no luck here to

I should of take you advice and put 4r70w before i started to mess with AOD

Put it up on a lift and run it at vibration speed and make sure it's the tranny. Did you put a new tranny mount on also. When mine died and was metal to metal I had all kinds of vibration and noise. The new tranny mount fixed it. Grabbing at straws now.

Ill put it on a lift tomorrow, we will see if i can get the vibrations off the ground. I replaced engine and transmission mounts with polyurethane mounts. There was no difference new and old mounts same vibrations....I also disconnected power-steering pump and swapped different cooling fan, there was no effect on vibrations.

Has anything been done that might change the pinion angle. Rear axle swap, suspension mods, tranny crossmember. If you have an angle gauge you might want to check. I would find two vertical surfaces you know are 90* to rotating shafts. On the engine tranny side the starter flange, bell housing face, or even the balancer face. On the rear axle turn the pinion yoke vertical and measure across the flats, or use the cover flange. Any way you want no more than 1* difference but not 0

Mr. Kelley, I was able to lift the car and test the vibrations with wheels in the air. Unfortunately, no luck here. I hit 3000rpms and did not notice vibrations but the transmission never up-shifted into 3rd.

When I started to chase the solution for the vibrations I check the angles for the driveshaft, transmission and rear end. I used TREMEC application on my phone and it showed me that the angles were OK. Also i played with angles transmission(AOD) and multiple rear end shims(0.5,-4.5deg) no noticeable change, the vibrations were there.....There is another possibility and reason for the vibrations. Last evening I decided to pack the wheel bearings and here what I found:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CY5wclEi_s&feature=youtu.be

Those bumps are not grease, that's metal....it looks like someone tried to chew on that spindle(driver side).....I already planed to upgrade the front end so maybe that will fix the vibrations. The parts are already waiting for the swap(came from 65 mustang so it should be easy)
Spindels.jpg