AOD trouble, not shifting to overdrive

I just started having a problem with my AOD tranny and wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

About a week ago I awoke one morning and got in my 87 gt and realized that my tranny wouldn't go into overdrive. The rest of the shifts also felt a little sluggish. The fluid could use a change and Im planning on getting that done today. Has anyone else experienced this problem were just the overdrive doesn't work? When I take the pan off I might find the problem without searching but wanted to post on stangnet just by chance anyone has an idea what could it be.

The night before I wasn't trashing on the transmission, just an easy drive to my girl friends house.

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.......I know I know......I wish it was a 5 speed to, AOD's suck

Thank guys,

• Sponsors (?)

AODs are fun :p but yes can be a pain, after you check out the TV cable like ron said and if it all looks fine (there is a small grommet that the TV cable goes into that is rubber and disintegrates over time, most people use the brass replacement grommets) theres probably a good chance you smoked the overdrive band which is pretty easy to do. Keepin my fingers crossed for you on it just being the TV cable since your other shifts were affected, but this shouldn't cut out OD I don't think should just make it shift into OD way late.

AODs are fun :p but yes can be a pain, after you check out the TV cable like ron said and if it all looks fine (there is a small grommet that the TV cable goes into that is rubber and disintegrates over time, most people use the brass replacement grommets) theres probably a good chance you smoked the overdrive band which is pretty easy to do. Keepin my fingers crossed for you on it just being the TV cable since your other shifts were affected, but this shouldn't cut out OD I don't think should just make it shift into OD way late.

I know I went through 3 AODs in 1 year on a BONE STOCK 5.0. A stock AOD is TRASH. My OD did go out one and 1 month later the whole thing went out, so all I can say to you is that your tranny is about to meet it maker ( ihope not though) thats just what happened to mine when my OD went out

Yes the tranny is broke the od band is done. Dont like to give you bad news.By the way AOD's are good if the right person builds it. One who knows what they are doing

He's exactly right. OD is dead. My wife's 87 with under 80k miles just up and died on her one day. The thing worked perfectly in D but OD was a gonner. Personally I would have driven it without OD but she insisted on a rebuilt trans. Oh well...it was her car.

If you don't go on alot of highway trips leave it broken.