Are shorties worth it?

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
945
1
39
Texas City TX
Hey guys, I have been out of the 5.0 world for a while now since selling my old 91gt and buying my 99. My question is are shorties worth much on the 5.0's? I know on the modular motors they aren't worth much of a gain, so what kind of gains can i expect with a pair of shorties on my otherwise stock 94 with say an o/r mid-pipe and catback?
 
Hey guys, I have been out of the 5.0 world for a while now since selling my old 91gt and buying my 99. My question is are shorties worth it on these motors? I know on the modular motors they arent so what kind of gains can i expect with a pair of shortioes?

It depends on what else you've done to your car. I wouldn't suggest it as a first mod - they won't really make that much of a difference on their own (other than sound)...but if you also plan on doing the rest of your exhaust and a new intake manifold/throttle body/mass air meter, it will be worth it.

You may also want to consider long tubes instead....shorties are normally better suited to high RPM power and long tubes are more suited for low RPM power.

So, unless you plan on changing your heads and cam also, you'd probably be better off with long tubes....but you can't buy those without also buying a new h-pipe and O2 sensor extensions....

I think the biggest bottleneck on a stock 5.0 is the heads themselves...once you upgrade those, the headers will make a much bigger difference.

Isn't modding fun? lol

Anybody have $20k lying around that they don't need?
 
Yesterday was a rerun of Horsepower TV and they did a bunch of bolt ons to a bone stock 5.0 notch. When full exhaust was added (BBK equal length shorty headers, BBK x-pipe, Flowmaster Amercan Thunder Catback) it netted 14 rwhp.

Isn't modding fun? lol
Anybody have $20k lying around that they don't need?
Yes I do. Look in my sig for what I am gonna do with it.:D
 
I may be reading this wrong, but is it on a 99 or a 94 GT?? If its on the 99 I wouldnt suggest it. Changing the headers on a 99+ car is a real PITA compared to our 5.0's and dont generally net gains worthy of the work put in. Just my .02
 
They may make a small gain but nothing noticble, only reason I got headers was cause I needed them for my pheads. Other than that Id still be using stock ones because I would have spent the money else where. I'd go with longtubes but you still probably wont notice much, maybe some low end torque if you even feel it. If you are building a motor though, say you have decent HCI, and stock headers I would say finish the job and get a full exhaust, other wise I wouldnt spend the money there for a bolt on.
 
i'd definitely put the money elsewhere, but if you're set on headers, they definitely chance the exhaust note, but don't do much else on a fairly stock engine. Go with a single flange type if you do go that route tho.
 
Your best bet for a close to stock motor would to change out the H pipe and ditch the 4 cat system for an off road or high flow cat system. The stock headers should flow fairly well to almost 300 fwhp.
Kevin
 
If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have swapped out stockers for shorty headers. As stated, the stockers will support up to 300 hp. Besides making the exhaust louder, they will basically do nothing for a fairly stock motor. They may even cost you some power in the low end. I know I felt a big difference when switching, and it wasn't for the better. Low end seemed to really drop off.