Are there any white faced gauges out there that DON’T look like hell at night?

LED's dont like the dimmer switch. Most of the time you have to have the dimmer all the way on inorder for them to light up. Ontop of this LED's are unidirectional so you'll have to make sure you put them in the light socket the correct way.

• Sponsors (?)

White with a besel

I did the white face but I got a brushed aluminum besel and painted it
flat black!!! It makes it like a hole new dash, looks like round gauges.

Attachments

• The Dash.jpg
    The Dash.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 152
To further complicate this :lol: I received my order of the Miniature Wedge Base bulbs> View attachment 181274
wled-all.jpg

They came in, and I hooked them up to 12VDC
Here's a regular incandescent OE bulb. Notice the 360º ambient light.
View attachment 181276
Now here's the LED
View attachment 181277
It'll most certainly blind you looking directly down at it, but that's not what we want them to do behind the instrument panel. Now, I haven't put one of these LEDs in yet, so someone who has is more than welcome to come in and tell me I'm full of it. I hope so, 'cause they're a lot cheaper.

These 360 guys may be the way to go
wled-xhp5.jpg

They're $5.95 each.

And then there's the dimming issue too to think about. I varied the voltage from 8V to 13.5V and the LEDs did dim, but not in the smooth analog way we're used to seeing. It was more of a step by step increase.

Attachments

• wled-all.jpg
    wled-all.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 103
  • wled-xhp5.jpg
    wled-xhp5.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 84
Last time I looked for the bezel I could not find them BUT I just seen it on
e-bay, if time runs out maybe you could contact the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I got my set off of e-bay long to ago and don't remember form who.

Stephen

What your looking for is "Glowing Dash Gauges". These lay over your old gauges and are lit them-selfs!!! They look great!! The one problem I have
with them is our gauge needles are white and it is a little hard to see them.
Especially at 100+ mph :burnout: So what I did was paint just the top of the
needle red. Here is a set like I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-92-93-FO...ord|Model:Mustang&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c998578a

Stephen

I did the white face but I got a brushed aluminum besel and painted it
flat black!!! It makes it like a hole new dash, looks like round gauges.

That's basically what I did. I think the white face part was from UPR and the bezel might have been off of Ebay. I also bought the three round rings that go around the A/C controls. They can all change colors and brightness from a single dimmer/controller. A few complaints though, the turn signal lights and the center idiots are hard to line up, they don't register prefectly. And I did have to replace the transformer once, but I still love them and would never want to go back to the black face gauges.