arizona heat running 250 to 270 temp

jlc8950

Jun 16, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my 1989 stang has magnaflow exhaust, bbk headers, underdrive steel pullies, 70 mm throtle body and spacer, 76 mm mass air metter, k & n filter, off road x-pipe. thats it. new radiator, new thermosthat and is not on backwards. and radiator is 70/30 water/coolant mixture. still get 250 to 265 close to 270 in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes of driving. dont know why it gets that hot. always have to add water to radiator every couple days. Could it be the AC. It didnt get that hot before i took a 5 hour trip to new mexico it stay at around 200 temp. suddenly started getting hot and fast.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are constantly adding water you have some type of problem. Do you have the tools to pressure check your cooling system? You either have a leak or a blown head gasket. The water has got to be going somewhere.

overheat

If the car was really running at that temp. it would do bad things so check instrumentation. Rock the car back and forth or tap the brakes to see if the coolant is sloshing around the sending unit. Air bubbles seem to cause bad indications on the gauge. If you can pull the codes easily or check the sending unit manually then that would be a good idea.

Yep - first thing first is get a real gauge!

The system's ability to hold pressure raises the effective boiling point ~50*F. That is big. find the leak source and fix it.

I am in AZ and though it is hot outside, it is not THAT hot.

Good luck.

Michael Yount said:
....yeah, but it's a DRY heat....... :)
Hey buddy!
Normally yes. We just had 39 straight days of triple digit temps.
But now it is monsoon season. Huge storms, 100*/100% humidity, etc. Not a good time to visit. :D

Make sure the air is purged fully from the system, the thermostat was installed properly AND is not defective (also make sure overkill was not excercised with the RTV), find your stock pullies and ditch the u/d ones (the waterpump is turning slower with the u/d setup), flush the entire setup and make sure you do not have an obstruction in a water passage.