Aspire to T5 Z

Actually 3.35 up to 2004 and then a 3.37 thru 2010.

Only the NWC 83-84 T5 came with 2.95 first however I dont think that gearset is compatible with the aftermarket 2.95 gearset.
This is what I found in my research as well. And the 1351-080-031 used for 2.95 1st in the afternarket T5Z also is used in the T5’s that came in 94-95 4cyl Chevy S10. But, in that application this cog is used for 2nd gear. Same part in both applications but used with a different cluster in each.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going with the standard needle bearings, or going with the pressed on tapered bearing between the input and mainshaft?

The tapered bearing increases the torque rating, but you need the correct input shaft to receive it, and to machine the mainshaft to accept the tapered bearing. I used to have a .pdf showing the dimensions required to machine the mainshaft to for the tapered bearing.

DO you have this?

ALso, there are two very good videos on YouTube by paul cangialosi with Eric the Car Guy that show T5 disassembly and reassembly, as well as paul has some good video's on his own personal youtube page showing how to check the syncro's and blocker rings for defects and proper engagement. Very good resources

I have the hard to get 2.95 1st gear cog in hand. Now waiting on the input, cluster, 2nd and 3rd which are on the way from Astro.

My current T5 is in perfect working order so when I tear it down I plan to reuse anything that is worthy. Trying to keep this experiment cost as low as possible.

In your opinion, other than the gears I'm changing out, what else would you consider "mandatory" to be replaced?

Alright, I got the Z-spec gear set now. Total of $425 including shipping across two vendors.

9796A151-8A35-46E5-8342-852E68C7DA04.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I think I eventually want a Z spec with the 2.95 first. Im pondering ways to get there while minimizing expenditure (i know, lol).

Anyway, one idea is sell my stock 1992 WC T5 and put that money towards another entire unit. I would even leave my current T5 in the car so a potential buyer can see that its fully functional on a test drive before they bought it. Maybe ask $600

Another option would be to buy a gear set like at the link below. Use it with other basic upgrades to rebuild my 1992 T5 and beef it up a tad.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on these options? Do you have any other ideas to get setup with a reasonablly sturdy Z spec?
I'm doing this now. Been waiting for the gear set for a month.
Using my existing core (case).
Then gear set goes out for cyrogenic treatment.
Total cost is same as new WC T5, but much stronger.
ProMotion Performance in Ft. Lauderdale is doing it.

this unit is built w/ 295 1st gear, Steel Bearing Retainer, Higher Alloy Steel, Cluster Support Plate, 3rd/4th/C/s are Cryo treated, 3/4 assembly has solid HD keys, your choice of overdrive 59/64%

Reactions: 2 users