Aspire to T5 Z

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I think I eventually want a Z spec with the 2.95 first. Im pondering ways to get there while minimizing expenditure (i know, lol).

Anyway, one idea is sell my stock 1992 WC T5 and put that money towards another entire unit. I would even leave my current T5 in the car so a potential buyer can see that its fully functional on a test drive before they bought it. Maybe ask $600

Another option would be to buy a gear set like at the link below. Use it with other basic upgrades to rebuild my 1992 T5 and beef it up a tad.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on these options? Do you have any other ideas to get setup with a reasonablly sturdy Z spec?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Check out Hanlon motorsports. TR3650 for under 2K

Thanks, I see those at various places around the internet. I can also get one from a local (1.5 hr drive) re-builder claiming the same upgrades and asking $1300. The local guy claims 380 ft/lb rating on a 3000 lb drag car.

I'm just looking for the least expensive options to get on board with a Z spec, even if it includes additional re-building labor on my part.

Assuming your T5 is in great shape and doesn't need a rebuild, that gearset is mostly all you need. That particular style uses the needle bearings like the standard non-Cobra T-5 has. If you wanted some additional strength, you want to seek out the kit that uses the tapered bearing between the input and mainshaft. Your mainshaft will need to be machined. If you were to go this route, I would track down someone's galled up (the tip only) mainshaft and buy it cheap since you would be removing the damaged portion anyway. Sell your good one for $150+. Throw in the 5-speeds.com cluster support and it should handle 330 ft-lbs or more.

You might need some small parts here and there. For example, when you remove your old cluster gear you need to pull or cut off one of the bearings to remove it. At that point you'll need a new bearing. ALL the bearings inside are common bearings that, once you have the bearing number, can be ordered off ebay or amazon individually.

I've been debating doing the Z-spec T-5 myself. I like how light the trans is, how it shifts (at least how mine shifts) and how easy it is to rebuild. A different trans would be nice, but by the time you buy the trans, adapters, clutches, trans mounts, etc you can probably build and rebuild (assuming you can do it yourself) a Z-spec 4 or 5 times and still come out cheaper.

BTW, this 2.95 gearset is cheaper (but currently out of stock)

Last edited:
My current T5 is in great shape. Hmm, so maybe it's worth a shot to install that gear set. Heck, if I break them I can always put the 3.35 set back in. I would certainly add the cluster support for added strength.

I hear alot of boasting about "steel bearing retainer" Does my stock 1992 WC T5 already have that? Or should I change the bearing retainer too?

I love my Z trans. A mechanic buddy of mine who has had a few of these cars was pretty impressed with the way it shifted. It is pretty smooth. I bought it off Summit for just under $1700 a few years ago, but I know that the prices have gone up since then. I had the cash at the time that was the only reason I bought it. I had another one rebuilt before that and it just wasn't the same. Decided to go new.

Last edited:
PA....hmmm. Could be in reach for a road trip and save a few bucks on shipping.

Just call, and be ready to spend your money. It's one stop shopping. If you can articulate your goals, Bob will make it right. You have to know how to sweet talk Linda a little bit though. She has a braking point where she suddenly becomes friendly. It takes a little bit though, not going to lie.

Kurt

Thanks for familiarizing me with tactical approach

She has the natural instinct for anyone who has had to answer sales calls day in and day out where only 5% end up in a sale. Come at her with some positivity; "I need to have a transmission built, I got a strong recommendation for Hanlon on Stangnet, what do you recommend? Can I send you an email with details and my goals that you can answer at a later time?"

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
A TR3650 from Hanlon sounds very nice. I've had a z spec in my 89 since 2013. It had a 93 t-5 in it before that. Car makes about 300 at the tires so it's not hard on parts. I really like my Z spec. It took about 5000 miles to loosen up a bit, but it shifts great and powershifts fine. I run 4.30 gears in the back and LOVE them. I don't drive the car 25 000 miles a year mind you, more like 5000 miles, but she'll run up to 30 MPH in first no problem, spin all through second, chirp third and occasionally fourth; plus it tachs about 2200 at 60 MPH. At my power level I wouldn't change anything. My only complaint was I couldn't get a 4.30 speedo gear; I used a 4.10.

If you are going to do the rebuild yourself, you could come out pretty good for what you will be getting with this:

Then you would have an A5 good for 600 HP but shifts like a stock T5 !

• Love
A TR3650 from Hanlon sounds very nice. I've had a z spec in my 89 since 2013. It had a 93 t-5 in it before that. Car makes about 300 at the tires so it's not hard on parts. I really like my Z spec. It took about 5000 miles to loosen up a bit, but it shifts great and powershifts fine. I run 4.30 gears in the back and LOVE them. I don't drive the car 25 000 miles a year mind you, more like 5000 miles, but she'll run up to 30 MPH in first no problem, spin all through second, chirp third and occasionally fourth; plus it tachs about 2200 at 60 MPH. At my power level I wouldn't change anything. My only complaint was I couldn't get a 4.30 speedo gear; I used a 4.10.

I'm up in there between a Hanlon 3650 and a Lenco ST1200 for my next engine.

Kurt

I was able to track down the required parts to convert to Z spec. The rarest part I've already ordered from one supplier. The other parts will come from another supplier, and a bearing support plate from another. Looks like I'll be able to round everything up for under $500. I'm waiting for the rare part to be confirmed before continuing with the rest.

Everything ordered and on the way. The 1st gear cog is the one becoming rare. Many suppliers list is as sold out. Ones that do have it want a pretty penny. It's part number 1352-080-031. This is the cog that gives 2.95 first when used with the cluster gear number 1352-077-070. This cog was also used in the 94-95 S10 pickups with 4cyl eng. So of you have one of those laying around, that single cog is probably worth more that the rest of the trans itself.

Anyway, I'm giving it a go doing the rebuild myself. I'll always have the stock 3.35 gear set to back me up if this Z spec venture breaks. I know it wont be as strong as if I spent $2k on those HD parts linked earlier in this thread. Heck, maybe someday I'll spring for those too.

I was able to track down the required parts to convert to Z spec. The rarest part I've already ordered from one supplier. The other parts will come from another supplier, and a bearing support plate from another. Looks like I'll be able to round everything up for under $500. I'm waiting for the rare part to be confirmed before continuing with the rest.

Z-spec parts aren't hard to come by. Z-spec was standard in 1998 or newer V6 cars I believe.

Kurt

I'm doing some T5 work too....a V8 T5 into a 4 cylinder car using a 4 cylinder engine. The input shaft is a little different so I called around and Tony Sarvis at Astro is going to cut me a input shaft that is a "hybrid"; makes a 3.35 V8 T5 work properly with a 4 cylinder bellhousing & transmission, gets you better gear ratios. So as I was talking to Tony, I found out that he's leaving Astro. I do not know the future of Astro, just know that Tony is leaving the business. I wish I'd gotten to meet him last week when I was down there and have a look around the shop. Seems like a cool guy-and knowledgeable.