Attitude Adjustment.....in Racing Red

Jeff Sickles

May 3, 2017
I am new and I offer my shocking Mustang experience, while I am in Florida, for everyone's entertainment:

I am in my Town and Country minivan in Ft. Meyers and I am rear ended 10 days ago

The loaner car offered was an Altima until I said to the Enterprise guy, "Do you have anything fun?" He liked that and got out 2 keys from his drawer and then offered me a Mustang or Camaro red convertible. TOOK THE TANG.

6 DAYS LATER:

I am a wreck psychologically

Returning the racing red Mustang to Enterprise was catastrophically painful

I took zillions of pictures of the car

We cruised downtown St Pete.....religiously.....every night that I had the car (me enthusiastically, other half not so much because I had the radio so loud)

My neighbor saw me in the car and immediately nicknamed me " Hollywood Jeff"

I fully embraced the Annoying-red convertable-radio loud behavior

I miss this experience- With the Mustang pawing the ground and snorting in the parking lot, I would say to the other half, " Do we need anything from Publix? Like toothpicks? I'll go get some!"

My dog is even more adorable in the car

The eco boost was astonishing...despite not being a GT

Errands became fun

Florida weather gets even better in this car

When I texted my daughter in Jersey that I am sort of, kind of, maybe thinking about replacing the rental with one of my own she texted back-REPLACEMENT REPLACEMENT REPLACEMENT!

We just bought a place to live in Fl., closing next week. I have no business looking at cars, for cryn' out loud!

I'm now on Car Guru and desperately shopping to replace that rental I gave up.

MAJOR NOTEWORTHY INFO:

I've never owned a Ford. OK, technically, my beloved Gran Marquis with Flow Masters that sounded good every time I started her and she took me to 294k miles. Miss her.

I borderline hate the color red…….but that is the ONLY color for the Mustang convertible (for me anyway)

The ......former......car of my dreams back in Jersey in my garage with 2 blankets over it is a 2006 Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat Dodge Magnum, hemi equipped, with an eye popping 46k miles.

How did this Mustang thing happen to me?

VIEWER REQUEST:

I am trying to learn as much as I can about the ’15 –’17 Mustang racing red convertible in a short time, so I am hoping you can help me with some questions:

I read a review that seemed to suggest that trim/option packages orient to the motor? Eco boost has a level of options that the 6 doesn’t? One of many examples- cooled seats are only in the eco boost? Or can I look for any group of options in either model?

I was truly dazzled by the eco boost. One review said that it, however, is not delivering the mileage that should come from a 4 banger. Reviewer was getting 21 – ish. I got the same on the short highway trip I took. EPA fantasy mileage is 30. Regardless, all reviewers ultimately liked it a bunch.

Given the mileage, is the 6 just as good? I am not needing the brawny GT performance…..am needing as much economy as I can get. One review I read said the 6 is actually lighter by a touch. Just as good on power? Just as good on gas?

Does the eco boost require exotic and pricey oil changes?

Eco runs on regular? I read that premium punches the performance up a bit.

When I was growing up, many years ago, boosted small engines were a flawed concept because wringing so much power out of a small block was punishing wear on the motor’s durability. What has been the long term, 60 to 120k mile, current experience? These eco boosted 4’s are holding up?

Thanks Everyone for your patience enduring my Mustang conversion experience above. I needed an auto motive sensitive shrink visit and I chose you all as my therapist.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Jeff, welcome to Stangnet.

Your thread made me chuckle a bit.

I'll move your thread over to our S550 General Talk subforum. You'll get opinions from the people that own the newer mustangs.

I hope you can pick one up.

Good to have you with us.

I believe you can only get the cooled seats in the premium package and you can't get the premium on a v-6 convertible. If your serious about getting a v-6, act now. 2017 is the final year for that engine. The ecoboost is the same engine that is in the focus RS. In the focus it's 350 hp 350 tq, it's detuned for the mustang, but you can always crank it back up. Ford has been using the ecoboost engines in various vehicles since 2009, and they have had minor growing pains, overall they are good engines. As for color, if your not a fan of red, try finding a grabber blue vert. That's what mine is and it's a one year only color on the S550's.

20170213_161239.jpg
20170213_161239.jpg

A little info to help you in your search, the running horse emblem on the tail light panel is different depending on model. The v-6's get a horse with the tri bar stripes behind it, the ecoboost gets just a plain running horse, and the v-8's get GT lettering. Also all ecoboost and gt convertibles get the premium package as standard.

And if you get the performance package on the ecoboost you get the standard GT front brakes which are 13.9" diameter rotors with BREMBO 4 piston calipers, they just are not labeled as brembo's

Last edited:
BFBlue................great info. Thanks so much. I am now better equipped for the hunt.

Blue is bangn' cool.
Hey Jeff, welcome to Stangnet.

Your thread made me chuckle a bit.

I'll move your thread over to our S550 General Talk subforum. You'll get opinions from the people that own the newer mustangs.

I hope you can pick one up.

Good to have you with us.

OK...................thanks for the help, Dave.

Glad you added that moderately belligerent clarification, Dave, and my profound apologies for sharing an enthusiasm that bored and/or antagonized you.
Easy killer, I liked your initial post and I understand you liking the new mustang.

I meant for it to sound moderately complimentary in reference to how you laid out how it came about.

I'm not being a snot with you, I appreciated your story on how you came about to liking your mustang. I like them too.

You just told a good story on how you got to liking it and I enjoyed it.

We ok now?

Reactions: 1 user
Easy killer, I liked your initial post and I understand you liking the new mustang.

I meant for it to sound moderately complimentary in reference to how you laid out how it came about.

I'm not being a snot with you, I appreciated your story on how you came about to liking your mustang. I like them too.

You just told a good story on how you got to liking it and I enjoyed it.

We ok now?

The 2018's are getting closer.. I'd wait to see if the eco boost gets an upgrade.. if it be an engine design change or even a bump in H.P.
It looks like they got a little change on body style. If your still happy with the 17's then you could probably pick one up cheap. Allow you to get settled with your home and all that good stuff