auburn, powertrax, or other?

VTStang66

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2001
Rockwall, TX
I want to put new gears and a limited slip in my car. I'm thinking 3.80ish since it has a tremec.

I'm thinking I'll keep the rear I have now (8") and put all new stuff in it; differential, gears, axles, maybe brakes too. So my main 2 questions are:

1) what kind if differential should I get?
2) could I go a better route than that for less money?

Car is in sig for those that don't know me (probably most of you by now).

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I have the Tremec 3550 w/3.55s and Powertrax, and am kicking myself in the ass for not getting the 3.73s. I can only use 5th gear at 60mph, and even then I have to down shift to pass. And as for the Powertrax -again not my best decision, it has a very loud and noticable clicking when turning, some people have told me they like it because it sounds like a locker i guess- not my taste though.

I have the PowerTrax No-Slip unit. Yeah, she bangs a little bit in the parking lot with a slow turn. So what. It hooks up great and I have to complaints when autocrossing either.

I went with the 3.80's. Only on the freeway about 5% of the time. So the gear with the C4 is no big deal. My plans were and still are to put in a five speed.

My two cents....

So the Powertrax is loud? I have a locker now and it drives me crazy with how loud it is. I was thinking of changing to a Powertrax unit cause it is marketed as quiet.
From their web site: "A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials."

So that statement is not exactly true?

I would describe it as a lower mechanical "click". Not a bang. It just happens on tight driveway/parking lot speed turns. Really not a big deal in my opinion. I've never had a locker such as a Detroit to compare it to though. The clicking actually reminds you that it's functioning.

Timmy said:
So the Powertrax is loud? I have a locker now and it drives me crazy with how loud it is. I was thinking of changing to a Powertrax unit cause it is marketed as quiet.
From their web site: "A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials."

So that statement is not exactly true?

Howdy stranger!

Good to see you around. I don't really have much input on the rear end situation, as I will likely be tackling that one in a couple years.

<- still peg-legging it with lame gears. I'll be rollin 5 liter and 5 speeds soon though. :D Check my garage/web link if you haven't seen the updated pics in a while. :nice:

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Howdy stranger!

Good to see you around. I don't really have much input on the rear end situation, as I will likely be tackling that one in a couple years.

<- still peg-legging it with lame gears. I'll be rollin 5 liter and 5 speeds soon though. :D Check my garage/web link if you haven't seen the updated pics in a while. :nice:

Deleted bumper guards and corral, slash cut tips through valence, these are brilliant modifications indeed :)

Car is looking good though man, looks like you've dumped some dough into it since I saw it. I'm about to put about $2500 or so in mine with this insurance money (totalled my truck).

Looks like I'll probably go with the powertrax then. I'm thinking if I get that unit, gears, and an install kit, that should be all I need right? There aren't any parts I'm forgetting? I might do the axles and brakes but I can worry about those later.

I'll probably get an aluminum driveshaft while I'm at it, for an all new powertrain, so any input you guys can give on those is good.