Auto Shifter Intall need help

u_s_marine

Sep 19, 2003
Auto Shifter Install need help

I have taken the small screw out at the end of the stock shifter -- What do I do next??? --- It wont move at all -- is their an install write-up somewhere?? I did a search and all i could find is to take out that small screw.

• Sponsors (?)

u_s_marine:

Put the shifter in 1st, all the way to the back of the slot. Then, slowly and carefully twist the handle clockwise/anti-clockwise while GENTLY pulling up on it. You don't want to yank the handle off because the OD switch wires will be torn off. Once the handle becomes loose but not quite off, be very careful as you finally remove it because the "innards" (spring, white plastic pin) may pop out. Once the handle is off, you can try to find the OD switch wire connector (it is hiding under the bezel) and disconnect it or you can just cut the wires at a convenient spot. There is a plastic sleeve that covers the wires and the metal tube that supports the shift handle. Remember, if you cut the wires, you need to find some light gauge wire to make a splice if you want to put the stock handle back on. There is not much room between the metal tube and the plastic sleeve and you don't want it to look lumpy!

Didn't you get instructions with the replacement knob?

I opted for the leather boot!

shifter.jpg

Been a few years -- Graduated from KU Law School, now working as a lawyer for Microsoft. -- I am glad I did it. I get a lot of respect for serving and it gives me the upper hand in any interview I go to, over civi's. Semper Fi and ooh rah devil dog.