Automatics: Tq. Converter vs. Chip

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
OK, someone do some splaining to me, Ricky.

I know what a torque converter does, and I also know what a chip can do for your shift points. My question is, ultimately, for those who have done either of these, what are the positive and negative aspects of each other than the costs associated with both?

If you set the shift points at around 2300 RPM, this will have the tranny shift at those set RPMs, but how does it affect the shifts on wide open throttle?

Normally, when driving, the harder you accelerate, the higher the shift points will be. I've had many of time that I have had the car not shift until around 5K RPM, and would think that upping the shift points would cause a redline event. Yes, no?

How do the changed shift points affect the shifts under Granny driving conditions, will it cause the car to not shift until the specified RPM always?

Thanks for any help and opinions guys, and remember to leave me a NEGTATIVE Trader Rating!!! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Really the stock shift points are great not dead on but almost there so there really is no point on changing those, it's more effective to just increase the line pressure causing firmer shifts.

Now a TQ will give you better performance but does cost more and not to mention it's a very very good idea to add a tranny cooler and it will lower your mpg a bit.

So to give you the run down
shift point- leave them stock
shift firmness- raise it up
TQ- great for neck snapping starts and about .5 a second off your et. Oh and don't forget that tranny cooler.

MarvinMyCat said:
OK, someone do some splaining to me, Ricky.

I know what a torque converter does, and I also know what a chip can do for your shift points. My question is, ultimately, for those who have done either of these, what are the positive and negative aspects of each other than the costs associated with both?

If you set the shift points at around 2300 RPM, this will have the tranny shift at those set RPMs, but how does it affect the shifts on wide open throttle?

Normally, when driving, the harder you accelerate, the higher the shift points will be. I've had many of time that I have had the car not shift until around 5K RPM, and would think that upping the shift points would cause a redline event. Yes, no?

How do the changed shift points affect the shifts under Granny driving conditions, will it cause the car to not shift until the specified RPM always?

Thanks for any help and opinions guys, and remember to leave me a NEGTATIVE Trader Rating!!! :D

Both are great. lol. Thats my entire response. I hoped I helped. :D