Backfiring Issues

JamesD87

Feb 25, 2014
Hey guys I had this posted in what I think is the wrong forum so I am posting it here where I think it should be.

So I think I have a new problem or my old problem is getting worse. So I bought the car roughly a month ago and since I have owned it when you first start it it will die immediately and backfire. It sounds more like a pop coming out of the exhaust. I think I have it narrowed down to the camshaft position sensor and the alternator (I already ordered the camshaft position sensor and am saving up for the alternator). Well tonight, I got in the car and it started fine on the first try (not completely unusual as it was about 50/50 before). So I backed out of my parking space and started to go and after about 20 yards of driving the car died and backfired EXTREMELY loud. Like it sounded like a straight up gunshot. The car started right back up and drove away fine I just thought that was weird. Also, when I am "cruising" there is a hesitation almost as if I take my foot completely off the gas and then put it back on real fast. I know I need to replace the pcv vacuum line but hadn't noticed this symptom before a couple days ago. Could this all be a result of the camshaft position sensor and alternator or does it sound like there is something else going on here?
A few details, its a 2000 gt with the 4.6 and a 5 speed manual. Im not really sure what is stock and what is not under the hood because im a complete mustang noob. I am pretty mechanically inclined, I built myself a pretty decent jeep but in my mind that's a whole different beast.
My plan was to replace the camshaft position sensor, alternator, and maybe do some new plugs and wires (any brand suggestions are greatly appreciated). Does this sound like a good place to start?
Thanks for all your help,
James

• Sponsors (?)

Save your $$ and replace the cam sensor LAST. Prop could make a down payment on the national debt with all of the good 4.6 cam sensors replaced during trouble shooting. <humor>

Check the CKP sensor to see if it's loose.

Check the crank damper bolt for correct torque. Check the crank damper for excessive run out and for harding of the rubber seal between the inner and out ring.

Save your $$ and have the alternator TESTED for excessive AC ripple (bad diode). Cost=free.

Spend your $$ on an oil filter cutter. On the next oil change cut the oil filter open and look for plastic debris and metal. If found, suspect that the problem is worn timing chain tensioners.