• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Balance issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wind-Farmer
  • Start date Start date Jul 12, 2009
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

livin

New Member
Jun 9, 2009
2
0
0
Newark, DE
Jul 21, 2009
#21
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #21
When I was having my slight wobble problem I found it hard to believe that removing this small washer could fix the problem...but it did. Give it a try and let us know the results.
 

TRIBALMAN23

New Member
Feb 23, 2008
49
0
0
Jul 21, 2009
#22
  • Jul 21, 2009
  • #22
IT IS THE RETENTION WASHERS!!!!!!!!!

I finally put my hood on tonight and I went ahead and took off both front wheels and found that DARN LITTLE BOOGER that has had me loose countless nights of sleep wondering what I needed to do next!!!!! I had the rebalanced 3 times and went ahead and had them do a front end alignment along with a rotate to be extra sure!!!

But it was those washers!!! WHEW!!!

Here are some quick shots of the hood, I still need to wait til next week to buff and what it to get better pictures, but I FINALLY got it done. Over ONE YEAR and 700 dollars later and ended up doing it my self, I got what I wanted but it just took TOO LONG!!!!


 

kooldawg6

mine works really well and can take a fair amount
Aug 31, 2006
1,679
2
38
Central VA
Jul 22, 2009
#23
  • Jul 22, 2009
  • #23
Sorry about your long wait for the hood, Tribal, but it looks really good!

Here is the brake retaining washer...
 
W

Wind-Farmer

Member
Sep 2, 2008
268
1
18
Minnesota
Jul 22, 2009
#24
  • Jul 22, 2009
  • #24
Thanks KoolDawg, your pictures for EVERYTHING are very very useful, I enjoy that!

You think those washers could have possibly messed up my wheels? If they are still on there?
 

TRIBALMAN23

New Member
Feb 23, 2008
49
0
0
Jul 23, 2009
#25
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • #25
Thanks guys! Windfarmer, they did not hurt my wheels, it was just annoying as f@#K!
So if you take those off it will not hurt them. I have had this problem since February when I got my new wheels and my wife and I drive the car everyday, Its our daily driver! SO I really don't believe they have hurt your new wheels.
 

kooldawg6

mine works really well and can take a fair amount
Aug 31, 2006
1,679
2
38
Central VA
Jul 23, 2009
#26
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • #26
YW Wind
 

bynumj

Member
May 21, 2007
77
2
6
Portland
Jul 24, 2009
#27
  • Jul 24, 2009
  • #27
FYI, the retainer nuts (little metal clip washers) on the wheel studs are used so the brake disc does not fall off during factory assembly. Ford instructions say to remove them when you take the disc of for maintenance and do not require them to be reinstalled. Taking them off will not cause any damage or harm.
 
W

Wind-Farmer

Member
Sep 2, 2008
268
1
18
Minnesota
Jul 24, 2009
#28
  • Jul 24, 2009
  • #28
Letting you guys know that I did remove the spring washer and it did help out the wobbly in the wheel, I can still feel it slightly.

Any way that an alignment could solve this problem?
 

kooldawg6

mine works really well and can take a fair amount
Aug 31, 2006
1,679
2
38
Central VA
Jul 27, 2009
#29
  • Jul 27, 2009
  • #29
I would try having the wheel balance checked first. I don't believe being out of alignment will cause the wobble on new tires. It can however lead to abnormal tire wear and the worn tires can wobble. That is what happened to me with the Nittos last year. I thought it may have been the wheels that were out of round, but when I put the new Dunlops on the ride was as smooth as could be.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
140
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
816
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Still need an Alignment?
  • from6to8
  • Jun 1, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
341
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 2, 2025
AeroCoupe
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
373
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?