• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

base timing less than 10*???

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikenstang
  • Start date Start date Aug 15, 2004

mikenstang

New Member
May 12, 2003
55
0
0
CT
Aug 15, 2004
#1
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #1
Does anyone run their base timing at less than 10* W/ (spout out). I have been slowley retarding it to get rid of ping problem but I didn't wnat to go less than 10. Also how many of you are running the timing locked at 25-30 and removing the spout. What is the better option???
 

94TURBO5 O

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
2,509
0
0
VA
Aug 15, 2004
#2
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #2
I ran 8 for awhile but I have a blower on my car. If you are NA take it up to 20-24 or mor if you can handle it w/o ping. I know peeps running 30-31 for locked and are very happy but I think you should start @ 20 first and see if you ping.
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 15, 2004
#3
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #3
Yeah, I'm running 6* of base timing. Even then, I have to use 93 octane or it will ping.
 
9

94whitesnake

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2002
152
0
0
Allentown, PA
Aug 15, 2004
#4
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #4
damn, did you guys look at your balancers lately? Maybe the outer ring spun a bit causing the degree marks to be off.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Aug 15, 2004
#5
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #5
94whitesnake said:
damn, did you guys look at your balancers lately? Maybe the outer ring spun a bit causing the degree marks to be off.
Click to expand...
JR does it cuz of the blower (i would presume).

often, carbon and other crud builds up on the chambers, artificially raising compression. so guys have to run lower base timing. do whatever it takes. JR, i cant remember, did you try a retard controller? did it work (i thought you had)?

from what i gather with you guys, the locked out timing works. (fox guys dont have the same issues as bad, so the only ones running locked out are some blown guys).

good luck.
 

94TURBO5 O

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
2,509
0
0
VA
Aug 15, 2004
#6
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #6
Yeah man I had a BTM and it failed on me at the track and I was pissed. I went out and got a boost a spark and sold the btm before sending it back to MSD. I have been running locked timing since then. I was going to get another one in a few weeks but I am am installing a KB on my car now and think I will keep the boost a spark. I am prob going to finally run a chip on my car with this KB if the tune is all funky and it runs bad but I don't suspect any problems b/c I'm adding a methanol kit also.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Aug 15, 2004
#7
  • Aug 15, 2004
  • #7
94SC50 said:
Yeah man I had a BTM and it failed on me at the track and I was pissed. I went out and got a boost a spark and sold the btm before sending it back to MSD. I have been running locked timing since then. I was going to get another one in a few weeks but I am am installing a KB on my car now and think I will keep the boost a spark. I am prob going to finally run a chip on my car with this KB if the tune is all funky and it runs bad but I don't suspect any problems b/c I'm adding a methanol kit also.
Click to expand...
that sucks - that it failed. i can see why you run locked out.

as for the upgrades, well, it must be nice!
good luck.
 

mikenstang

New Member
May 12, 2003
55
0
0
CT
Aug 16, 2004
#8
  • Aug 16, 2004
  • #8
Thanks for the info guys... I will try to bring it down to 8-9* to see if the ping goes away. It does start popping a little around 9* but it may be a trade off. I know it isn't carbon cause I just put the eng together a few months ago. I do have the heads milled to 58cc chambers so the compression is a little higher but Jeez I can make it ping anytime I want. I just go one gear higher and put WOT and PING-a-Ding-ding...Or anything at full eng temp (190 or so )and WOT under 2500RPM and it will ping. It's OK when cold.

I am looking into a Tweecer in a few months anyway (No cash right now) I still have some driveability issues with idle and stalls but not too bad...It just isn't perfect.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Aug 16, 2004
#9
  • Aug 16, 2004
  • #9
with the smaller chambers, id recommend higher octane fuel. that might be a trade off you have to live with with the tighter chambers.
if that does not do it, i would heed JR's advice and run locked out - even if just to try it. you really dont want any detonation on your new set up!. good luck.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
5.4 4v base ignition timing table help.
  • leoleo
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
1
Views
114
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 17, 2026
MustangBetts
M
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
536
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
D
Rockers, lash adjusters and timing: help with parts (4.6 2v)
  • dvigAtel
  • Nov 1, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
0
Views
322
Other Auto Tech Nov 1, 2025
dvigAtel
D
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
104
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
355
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?