Battery?? Alternator??or??

Hello everybody! I’m new to the forum. I have an issue that I can’t solve, of course, I’m not the most car savvy anyway.... the other night as I was coming home late around 11pm my cars headlight started dimming and going on and off. The battery gauge and Rpms jump up and down when I apply the brakes or turn on the signal lights. Whenever I step on the gas quite hard only then do the headlights get fully bright ass they should, but only for a while. The abs light comes and goes and the theft light also comes and goes more frequently blinking hard. I took it to autozone and they said the cars battery and alternator were in good shape so im just confused. Recently (2 weeks ago) my car was broken into, they made a hole in my door with a screwdriver and ripped the ignition out ( they failed to steal it) I took the car to a shop so they could install a new steering coulmn not to long ago do you guys think maybe they didn’t connect something right? Would the steering coulmn even cause the issues I listed? I can see maybe the theft light maybe but everything else? Thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would call the shop you had it done at and ask them. I would hope/assume it was a decent/reputable shop. Do this to at least make them aware that there is an issue and it could possibly have something to do with what they repaired. That’s about all I got for you. Electrical issues are best diagnosed in person in my opinion.

Hello everybody! I’m new to the forum. I have an issue that I can’t solve, of course, I’m not the most car savvy anyway.... the other night as I was coming home late around 11pm my cars headlight started dimming and going on and off. The battery gauge and Rpms jump up and down when I apply the brakes or turn on the signal lights. Whenever I step on the gas quite hard only then do the headlights get fully bright ass they should, but only for a while. The abs light comes and goes and the theft light also comes and goes more frequently blinking hard. I took it to autozone and they said the cars battery and alternator were in good shape so im just confused. Recently (2 weeks ago) my car was broken into, they made a hole in my door with a screwdriver and ripped the ignition out ( they failed to steal it) I took the car to a shop so they could install a new steering coulmn not to long ago do you guys think maybe they didn’t connect something right? Would the steering coulmn even cause the issues I listed? I can see maybe the theft light maybe but everything else? Thanks guys!!

You have an intermittent connection issue either in the ignition assembly, in the steering column, or under the dash (likely on the driver's side).

I also would hazard to guess that this is the direct result of something not being done correctly when they replaced the steering column in your car. Call them up and talk about it. If you get stonewalled, come back and we'll help you figure out what it is.

In the immediate future, I would crawl under the dash and look in the engine bay against the firewall, for any lose ground straps or connections. Carefully reseat all of your fuses and relays at the fuse panel.

Play with the ignition switch and key with the car idling in the driveway. See if you can get it to "hiccup" by messing with the key, and/or each of the switches and buttons on the steering column.

Check all of the connections that they made when the column was swapped and ensure that there are no pins pushed out connectors or wires broken/disconnected.

If they made any splices, they should have been made with soldered butt connectors. NO ELECTRICAL TAPE OR SPADE CONNECTORS.