Battery cut off switch, Alternator wire?

ponyboy19

Founding Member
May 24, 2000
Just wondering when you install a battery cut off switch on a 94/95, and you wire the alternator directly to the battery side of the switch, what do you do with the two wires that the original alternator wire attached to and that went into the power distribution box under the hood. Do you have to hook the two wires up to a possitive comming off the battery or just cap them off and leave them dead?

• Sponsors (?)

Just make sure every wire that is hooked up to the pos terminal on the battery is hooked to switched side of the disconnect switch. That way, when the disconnect is on, those wires get power, and don't when the disconnect switch is off.

The alternator cable hooks directly to the battery post, as well as the other wires, so don't think about the alternator cable powering anything, just remember that they all connect to the same point, and they need to stay that way.
Scott

I know the alt cable goes to the battery and doesn't power anything, I'm wondering if the two wires the OEM alt cable was attached to that went into the power distribution box powers anything and if they (the two wires) can be left unhooked.

Ok it’s been quite a while since I did my batter relocation. If I remember right you have the main power wire and the two regulator wires in a harness that went from the alternator to the power block. I’m not sure the regulator wires hooked to the power block but went into the harness somewhere close. I removed the large black/orange power wire and replaced it with one that ran to the trunk-mounted switch. I kept the other wires for the voltage regulator in their original place. I modified my main batter cable that ran to the starter so it only hooked to the power block. This gave the car power still after the battery was gone. Then it hooked to the main power stud on the starter with the large power cable that come from the battery in the trunk. Hope this helps.

which 2 wires are you talking about? theres the cable that comes off the lug on the alt that attaches to the lug on the fuse box. then theres 2 plugin connectors (1 single wire and the other is 4 wires i believe). the single goes to the ac compressor and the 4 wire connects to a plug on the main harness.

to relocate the battery and have the master switch work the way its supposed to, remove the cable on the alt that connects to the fuse box and route it to the + terminal on the battery in the trunk. thats it.

which 2 wires are you talking about? theres the cable that comes off the lug on the alt that attaches to the lug on the fuse box. then theres 2 plugin connectors (1 single wire and the other is 4 wires i believe). the single goes to the ac compressor and the 4 wire connects to a plug on the main harness.

to relocate the battery and have the master switch work the way its supposed to, remove the cable on the alt that connects to the fuse box and route it to the + terminal on the battery in the trunk. thats it.

the singe wire connector on the alternator actually flips a 180 and goes right back into the regulator. It's not connected to the compressor.

I'm talking about these two wires that hook to the alt cable itself. As you can see in these two pictures. First pic is the alt cable hooking into the other two, and the second picture is the two red wires going into the fuse box. When you cut or no longer use the OEM alt cable then you are left with these two red wires. So what, if anything, needs to be done with the two red wires going into the box?
1002857it4.jpg

1002860ee0.jpg

Attachments

• 1002857it4.jpg
    1002857it4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 106
  • 1002860ee0.jpg
    1002860ee0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 116