battery going dead or altenator

stuart415

Nov 9, 2004
when I start my car gauges do a full sweep also tonight the radio shut off by itself also did it the other day car wants to die when i come to a stop is it the battery or could it be the altenator how hard is it to change the altenator

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like it could be both. if the battery is constantly drained like that it will make the battery go bad pretty quick.

replace the alternator, but if you continue to have problems....you should look into a battery. i havent changed the alternator on a 4.6 yet, but my 3.8 was fairly easy.

It might be easier to read your post if you used periods and capital letters.

Agreed. It seems as though we've been getting a slew of incoherent threads and posts lately, kinda hurts the 'ol noggin to comprehend the random jargon:(

back on topic:

sounds like your faulty alternator killed your battery. as mentioned before have them both tested, the alternator is more than likely dead (i'd buy OEM) but the battery may still be salvageable

Battery is an easy change - I just replaced mine at 65k. I brought the old one in to Kragen (just like autozone or pep boys). Any of those should have a stock replacement that is a direct fit that will be held down by the stock bracket. I paid 90 bucks and then got 10 bucks back for bringing in the old one.

going to say the alternator.
just had to put a new one in the Fiances 02 and she was having the same problems even after replacing the battery.
It's a quick and easy job. Alternators aren't too expensive either.

sounds like your faulty alternator killed your battery. as mentioned before have them both tested, the alternator is more than likely dead (i'd buy OEM) but the battery may still be salvageable

Agreed. That happened to me a few months ago.

Your alternator is probably shot, and that in turn killed your battery over time. I'd bet that both are bad.

take a volt meter and test the voltage at the battery with the car running. around 14 volts, your good, under then you might need an alternator. Next have somone do a battery load test to see if the battery is any good. If the alt is not charging, chances are it needs an alternator but could have other problems also. So cars chaging systems are controled by the pcm and that could be the problem, BUT, I dont think these cars are set up like this.