Battery kill switch after relocated to the trunk?

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
ok so i want to move my battery to the trunk, but i have encountered a small problem. my local drag racing track requires that if you have a battery mounted in the trunk, it needs an externally mounted kill switch. I qoute:

"Whenever a battery is relocated to the trunk, the vehicle must be equipped with an external disconnect switch. This switch must be clearly labeled and immediately disconnect the positive side of the battery. To determine if the switch operates properly a tech inspector will turn off the switch with the engine running. If this action does not immediately shut down the engine then the switch is wired improperly and the vehicle shall fail the inspection. Drivers should ensure the alternator charge wire is routed to the battery side of the switch. This isolates the alternator from the rest of the electrical system. Drivers should check with the switch manufacturer to ensure it is properly installed.

In all cases the master disconnect switch, including an OEM style ignition switch, must also shut off the electric fuel pump(s) regardless of battery location."

i thought that maybe i could mount the switch by the gas tank lid, so when i open the gas door i can turn it off. also, could someone show me the proper switch to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

You need a switch like this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=MOR-74102&N=700+4294859645+115&autoview=sku

Also, you can't mount the switch by the gas tank lid. It needs to be visible when you are racing the car. This is so if something happens, the track personel can run to your car and flip the switch. Many people mount it behind their license plate and then just remove the plate when they are racing.