Battery light coming on

What would cause the battery light to come on when the engine goes above 2500 rpms? The factory gauge almost goes to maximum charge as well as my sub amp turning off. As soon as I depress the clutch and the rpms go down, everything returns to normal. My 160A 3G alt is less than a year old, and I have a brand new battery. Voltage regulator perhaps? Something else?

Thanks-
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

I'm with mackey on the alt needing to be tested.

The 3G's all had the regulator built into the alt, it is not a separate part like on older stangs.

I took it to Advance auto parts and they hooked their analyzer up to the car and I ran it at idle and at 2K rpms. I even took it up to 3K and nothing happened. The guy told me that all of the readings were normal and that there were no indications that their was a problem with either the alternator or the battery. When I drove to work this morning, the same thing happens-anytime the engine revs over 2500 rpms the battery light comes on and the gauge spikes to almost 18 volts. I immediately depress the clutch, the rpms come down, and everything returns to normal. It only happens after about 15 minutes of driving. I'm going to re-check all of my connections between the alt/battery and then take it to get a second opinion. Any other thoughts?

Thanks-
Ted