Battery Terminals?

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
The battery to ground cable on my car is in need of replacement. The starter ground wire is ripped in half. I just got a new Motorcraft wire. Only problem is the terminal connectors on the car are aftermarket. They look like they are brass. I was going to just change both, but the positive cable uses that heavy duty cable because it is connected to a big stereo that the car came with. Actually there are two of those cables going into the terminal connection. What I want to know is can I just use the Motorcraft cable for the ground wire and leave other one one? Doing this would cause me to have one brass terminal connection and one regular metal connection. Is that ok? Aside from the fact that it will look bad, will it cause any problems?

• Sponsors (?)

As long as an electrical system has solid connections at both ends, a strong ground somewhere on the chassis/engine, and a big enough wire gauge, you should have no problem with any electrical setup. Metal is metal, it will conduct electriciy period (some metals better than others obviously) - so no, you should have no problems.

Bottom line, just make sure you have good connections, no frayed or open wires, and cables big enough for what you are using them for.