Bbk header no longer chrome?

rednotch

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2000
south jersey
Noticed the old Chome bbk fox body headers are now listed as titanium ceramic coated, anyone bought these recently? Are they just spray bombed in ceramic paint like the old mac headers where or is it a legit coating like the polished ceramic options? never really been a fan of bbk but not many cheap long tubes left for these cars and I hate the bbk equal lengths on the car I just bough so they gotta go.

• Sponsors (?)

Noticed the old Chome bbk fox body headers are now listed as titanium ceramic coated, anyone bought these recently? Are they just spray bombed in ceramic paint like the old mac headers where or is it a legit coating like the polished ceramic options? never really been a fan of bbk but not many cheap long tubes left for these cars and I hate the bbk equal lengths on the car I just bough so they gotta go.
The ceramic coating on my Mac’s has held up, I don’t think they were just painted. Who knows though.

I wonder when bbk stopped offering the chrome headers. Honestly I kind of like the look of the titanium ceramic ones in the picture, the dull look that is.

The ceramic coating on my Mac’s has held up, I don’t think they were just painted. Who knows though.

I wonder when bbk stopped offering the chrome headers. Honestly I kind of like the look of the titanium ceramic ones in the picture, the dull look that is.
Macs had polished ceramic as an option like bbk, have a set on car a still, but the basic headers where just a high temp spray bomb like vht header paint while bbk's where chrome. They looked dull gray just like the pics bbk are using now, the paint lasted a couple months at best. Order a new other set off fleabay cheap but had a stock pic in the listing so will see what shows up. Website even has a fake sale on them, polished ceramic price knocked down to the old chrome price. I'm guessing cheap paint based on there choice word of ceramic "finish" vs the ceramic "coating" on the more expensive polished ones lol.

Last edited:
They're no longer chrome. I installed a set of their similar headers on my 1985 F-150. The titanium grey is a darker grey, matte finish. They're not shiny anymore.

As far as durability, none of the coating has flaked off in the couple of months since the headers were installed. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when I get home from work.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a set of the older BBK 1515 headers. Back in the day they were chrome, but looking them up now, they seem to be Titanium Ceramic.

The old chrome coating was crap anyway. The headers rainbowed almost immediately and it ended up flaking off. I ended up sandblasting the headers and just painting them.

I have JBA ceramics now

got a used set of chrome shorties cheap as they blued , used toilet acid cleaner to remove the chrome down to the nickle finish then 2000 degree clear engine paint and finally lava header wraped. they look great and less heat in my engine bay.

As promised. These have been on the truck about two and a half months. The truck has been a daily driver most of that time. The coating seems pretty durable.

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
They came in that grey, I would say its a paint vs a baked on coating. Clearly someone tried to install them then said fck it lol. Was a Amazon retun, other then them folding the gaskets in half when they repackaged it, they will work fine for the $190 I paid for them. I got better header gaskets laying around any way

Attachments

• 20220812_172631.jpg
    20220812_172631.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220812_172610.jpg
    20220812_172610.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 58
They came in that grey, I would say its a paint vs a baked on coating. Clearly someone tried to install them then said fck it lol. Was a Amazon retun, other then them folding the gaskets in half when they repackaged it, they will work fine for the $190 I paid for them. I got better header gaskets laying around any way
Is the finish on the inside of the tubes?

I forgot how tiny the 1 5/8" ports are at the flange, lots of weld to grind out if ya want. Honestly surprised no one offers a budget off the shelf long tube with the 3" in bolt pattern for these cars, guess the markets to small these days. I cut up some cheap LS swap headers in the past but I could use the 3 bolt pattern with those. this ones got an set of old edelbrock rpm heads on it with only the stock pattern drilled..