BBK long tubes question

Kornnut

Founding Member
Nov 25, 2000
Tulsa
I bought a set of used long tubes last month and was looking for a mid pipe today. I notice that my flanges are 3 bolt and the ones on summit are 2 bolt.

146189.jpg

Did I get screwed?

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on how you look at it:shrug:

5.0mag did a dyno comparison of LT headers...BBK vs Hooker I believe.
The BBK had the ball and cup style connector and the Hooker had the 3 bolt flange like you have.
The Hooker had better dyno numbers and they contributed it to the BBK's restriction on the ball side of the connetor.

But, the ball and cup connetor is supposed to seal better:shrug:

I know the Cyclone headers on my old Jeep with the 3 bolt style flange was always leaking. It was a real PITA.

Someone cut off the ball socket connection and welded on a 3" 3 bolt flange. Now you need a custom mid pipe made or maybe a dr gas kit will fit. The bbk ball socket joint is restrictive, but instead of cutting it off, I grinded mine to open it up. Its appx 2 3/4" now and i'll open it to 3" when I swap to a much needed 3" mid pipe!

Someone cut off the ball socket connection and welded on a 3" 3 bolt flange. Now you need a custom mid pipe made or maybe a dr gas kit will fit. The bbk ball socket joint is restrictive, but instead of cutting it off, I grinded mine to open it up. Its appx 2 3/4" now and i'll open it to 3" when I swap to a much needed 3" mid pipe!

I got an extra mid pipe sitting, so I can pick up some 3 bolt flanges and just go to cutting. So those are 100% mustang headers?

Looks like the o2 bung is welded in on the opposite side that my bbk's are. Unless sn95's are that much different.

Its from a wide band.

What I am thinking is this. I got a spare shorty h from my 02 gt. I know I will have to make it fit, so might as well get the flanges to fit also from dr gas.

Well

You can look at this in two different ways I guess :shrug:

Back in my misspent youth days ..................
Collectors like you have there ... thats all we knew about :D

When I got back in the hobby and saw headers for my GT :eek:
I said to myself ... that looks like a ball & socket joint :crazy:
Who thought up this stupid idea :nono:
as ... its bound to hinder the flow :fuss:

I then realized it would allow less of a hassle as far as ......
Ease of installation
and
More room for error with sealing
and
Less maintenance

but still

My first reaction was to poo poo the design for performance :rlaugh:

Soooo ... having said all that ............

I'd say you got it good on one hand ;)
On the other however ...
Those old school collectors can blow a gasket in a heartbeat :rlaugh:

I have seen things that lead me to believe the ball & socket
design does indeed restrict the flow but how much .....
Who can say :shrug:

A muffler shop would have no probs with those collectors :)

Grady