Been pondering a Cobra, suprised at values

98V6 K.I.T.T.

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2001
Everett, Washington
As much as I love my GT, the thought of a 03/04 Cobra has well.....been inviting. Since the GT is almost paid off I thought about maybe selling the GT for a Cobra or even just buying a Cobra along with the GT (GT would be a DD). I'm actually surprised at what people are selling the 03/04's now. I swear when I bought my 02 GT in 2005 I saw some cobra coupe's going for 27K.....I look at how much people are selling them for and they are around the 30K give or take 2K. I'm shocked...sure some of these are LOW mileage and not far from stock, but dang.....still 30K for a 5 year old car. Looks like I'm going to keep my original idea and build the GT along side a second project stang (either a 94/95 GT or 96-98 Cobra). If someone showed me a low mileage, near stock Sonic Blue Cobra......at a really good price I'd consider (however still debating on how serious I am) until then I guess I'll just save my cash.

• Sponsors (?)

Terminators are a great bang for the buck. I think the new Shelby's have actually kept the 03/04 car's prices up. If you were looking for a high horsepower Mustang and you had the choice of a $50-60,000 Shelby or a $28-32,000 Terminator, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Give me a $28,000 Terminator and $20,000 and I'll show you an 800 hp car.

Bill, why aren't you at work?

Yes the Terminator Cobra's are holding their value very well, but they should,
what a car!
Have you or anyone else checked out the one that Cory posted on here a couple of weeks ago ? It seems like a decent deal. It looks pretty good in the pics!
If I have time today I might stop and check it out!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/614300062.html

Bill

Dude I dont know about that one! I stoped by the other day at that dealer and took a look at it. One they dont even know what brand procharger it is, two the dealer is very scetchy. It really felt like they were hiding something. The guy said that he has got alot of offers going on right now.... but its still there, so im thinking everyone is backing out of that deal :shrug: The guy wouldnt even let me take a look at it....(weird)

The Cobra above is a Tenth anniversary model. I don't know what you mean by cheap plastic interior as the seats are leather with alcantra suede inserts. If the rest of the interior is what you are talking about then yes its plastic like every other modern car.

I've thought about selling mine over the years or trading it in on a new Mustang GT as I like the new body style. I just don't think I could get used to it being so much slower than the Cobra. Even at stock power levels, the Cobra has a seat of the pants accelleration that puts a smile on my face every time.:D

As far as Cobras holding their value, it depends on the miles and how it was used. Everyone knows my car so I probably couldn't get as much for it... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the fact it has been raced so much and not broken says something about its durability...:D :flag:

Just for fun, go drive a couple 03/04 cobras. The first car we drove my bro got into the supercharger and i was convinced all in the car were going to die. To echo Raptor, they are just sweet to drive. I grin every minute i'm in the seat. Six speed, 4v with forged components and factory supercharged, INDEPENDENT REAR SUPENSION, styling by Camilo Pardo, i could go on and on. Odds are that they will retain their value better than most, especially over the cars that you have mentioned. Best of luck with your desicion, just be patient.

Here's a low mileage terminator. I was looking at these about a year or two ago and they were in the low 20s at that time. Fast enough car, but cheap plastic interior.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=18

That's a great price for a 10th.

I've been teetering on selling mine for the last few months, having unpure thoughts about Corvettes. With the time and money I've put into the car to get where I am with a great balance of drivability and performance it becomes a difficult decision. The Cobra is an absolute Grandma car easily cruising around town, but once you give it throttle it's an absolute brute.

The only compromises I'm not too fond of having to make with regards to drivability was upgrading the clutch and just recently putting on an offroad pipe (I kept blowing out cats -- now it's just loud). Overall, despite the fact these are rental cars with performance parts they’re still the best bang for buck for the class even after 5 years. Barely breathing on these cars with upgrades nets big horsepower with the platform ready to support more.

They’re certainly worth the money, and I wouldn’t sweat buying a non stock car. If you ever want to buy a black Whipple Cobra you know where to find me. 