Beep!

jfrayzier

May 20, 2005
I have a 1.1 mile drive to work. Strangest thing happened this morning. I was turning left at a stoplight and my car beeped at me. Apparently for no reason.

Well, then it beeped several more times on my way to work. No indicator of why it was beeping.

Finally, I happened to notice once out of the corner of my eye that a light in the dash flashed when it beeped. I couldn't tell which one it was, though, only that it was a red one.

A few moments later (I'm driving around just to try to get it to do it again at this point) I was able to tell that it was the "door ajar" light.

Well, in the end I finally realized that my trunk had come a little loose and was triggering it when I would hit a bump or something. Not sure how that happened to the trunk all of a sudden, though.. it's been about two weeks since I last opened and closed the trunk.

Pretty weird, but I thought I would share my lame story. Hopefully it was the trunk and not just my luck that it stopped after I opened and closed the trunk again.. but it did seem to stop, at least for now.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had that happen before, twice now. The first time, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. It seems to be intermitant, as the trunk partially opens for a moment and you get a beep. It's so easy to bump the key fob and not know it.

happened to me one time, i was below E on the gas gauge, and i thought it was telling me FILL ME UP!!! but i finally decied to check out the trunk just to be sure. dont know why i checked the trunk, but that was definately the fix, trunk was ajar.

If you have the trunk full, and something hits the glow-in-the-dark-pull-this-and-run-from-the-kidnappers handle, it can pop the trunk open. I discovered this after a Costco run. Repeatedly. We had to stop and shift some stuff away from the handle - it was pulling it off of the velcro, and viola! open trunk.:bang:

Yeah that pissed me off. I was pulling outta the drive way and accidentally brushed the dangling key FOB with my knee and popped open the trunk. I heard it pop and went out to close it. :nonono:

I have had it happen to me a few times where something hits that dumb emergency handle in the trunk and it pops open. Luckly I have the message center in mine that says that the trunk is open so I don't have to look around to find the cause of the beep. That dumb little piece of velcro never seems to hold that emergency lever in place for long.