Beeping sound comming from behind the a/c controls??

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I have a very annoying beeping sound comming from behind the a/c control panal that sounds exactly like a code scanner. Any idea's? Sounds like its comming from some box thing but I have no clue what it is. It will just keep beeping like a code reader while im driving :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I had a feeling that was it. I noticed sometimes my airbag light flashes on the dash but not always. It sounds like i'm getting a code 55 but theres no 55?? I get 5 beeps then another 5 beeps then it does it again 5 beeps and another 5 beeps quick pause, another 5 beeps and thats all. So....Beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep Quck pause beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep then pause beep beep beep beep beep..Wtf?

It sounds like you still need to pull the airbag code manually. The site notes:

NOTE: If a system fault exists and the indicator is malfunctioning, an audible tone will be heard indicating the need for service. The tone produced is a series of five sets of five beeps. The number of beeps does not indicate the fault code, it means the indicator is out and a fault is present.

Can't really help from Chicagoland to figure out what's up with the indicator light, but hopefully it's something simple like a burned out bulb, and replacing it will help with finding the code, and eliminating the beep. ;)

Thanks, ill have to look into this some more and see whats involved. I am considering selling it and would need this fixed before doing so. No ones gonna buy a car with an annoying beep :(

I didn't read the whole link but how do you pull the codes? When I turn the key on I don't see an air bag light so maybe the bulb is bad like you said. Im certainly not pulling the dash apart to fix that. I just want the noise to stop.

Yeah ive done that before i'm just lazy and unmotivated when it comes to working on it. Maybe though if I fix the bulb the noise will go away, but then ill just see the light flashing 5 times. How do you test for the codes?

It should flash the code when the ignition is turned on. Somewhere behind the glove box (I think it's there on a Fox, I know it is on my SN) is the harness to reset the codes.

I read through some posts and saw something about a low battery possibly being the cause. I know for a fact my battery is old and should be replaced. Car barely starts when its warm (think of a crazy compression race car starting up and cranking real slow) The battery is from 2000. I guess I need to change that bulb. Hopefully that at least stops the beeping.

Edit: Upon more searching I found that replacing the bulb will indeed make the beeping go away. Guys were also putting a piece of tape over the bulb to block the blinking so it'll look like its "fixed".

Thanks guys. I removed the box and disconnected it, no more beep. I guess with it disconnected the airbag won't work, correct?

Mike, you might want to double check this line of thinking as I don't believe it's correct. IIRC, the system is able to deploy without the airbag monitor being functional.

Was working on a '96 SHO recently...and was told the following:

Step 1: Replace the airbag bulb.

Step 2: Obtain the two digit Lamp Fault Code (LFC) by counting the flashes.

Step 3: post the code so someone with a factory manual can look it up.

The 5 X 5 beep code is a redundant warning that the airbag system has a fault since the primary indicator (bulb) has been detected to be inoperative. The exact same system has been used for years in many Fords.

This may or may not help your case.

Make sure you tell the potential buyer that the airbag may or may not work. It is the right thing to do, as you know.

Either fix the problem correctly, or tell the buyer what is wrong and tell them what you did to temporarily "fix it."

Mike, you might want to double check this line of thinking as I don't believe it's correct. IIRC, the system is able to deploy without the airbag monitor being functional.

I am not 100% sure, I was just guessing it wouldn't work. You're probably right though.

If I do indeed sell it, I will tell anyone interested in buying it what was done if not fixed by then. Right now its below freezing outside and its just too damn cold to pull apart a gauge cluster to change a light bulb on a car I dont drive much :D Plus I just got my new car last night so I wanna get that on the road this week and have the saturn sold by saturday.

Ok, I need some help also, I have fixed my light ( was 70 here this weekend :D ) and everything was fine for a few days, but now when you start the car it beeps, just not like before. Now I get short irratic beeps, like it wants to but is stopped? after traveling a block or two the beeping stops and the light turns on, blinking code 12, and the check engine light comes on at the same time. I checked around and 12 is Loss of battery power to air bag firing circuit ??? :shrug: ???
Any clues?

Here is a Shot of it, its the Blue Box behind the Climate Controls.

dashmr7.jpg

Hmm, so can I just unplug it? I am in the same boat as grn92lx, I am wanting to sell my car so I have some $$ for my 86 GT and am unmotivated to work on the 93 anymore. Can the ADM be purchased at ford? How much do you have to take apart to replace it?