BEGINNER WITH STEREO'S. NEED ADVICE

I have no experience with stereo systems. I am planning on installing one in June. I will not be doing it myself. Like I said, i have no experience and I want it done right the first time. I am willing to spend $1,000 to $2,000 on this system. I am thinking of a pair of 12's, box, and an amp, but dont know what specs to go with on them. I know absolutely nothing about amps, and what is a good freq. range on the subs? :shrug: I hear about highs, lows, and mids.....what are those? I am looking at replacing the entire stereo system (mach460) and going with a new head unit as well. I am thinking about an MP3 player. what are some good units to look at? More importantly, what should I be looking for? I dont know a whole lot about brand names so help with that would be appreciated as well. The end result of what i am looking for is good, clear sound quality, powerful bass, and i want the equipment to last! If anyone could help me out with this, i would really appreciate it!

Also, will a pair of 12's fit in my trunk? i have a '99.

• Sponsors (?)

I strongly....

smokin'Red35th said:
I have no experience with stereo systems. I am planning on installing one in June. I will not be doing it myself. Like I said, i have no experience and I want it done right the first time. I am willing to spend $1,000 to $2,000 on this system. I am thinking of a pair of 12's, box, and an amp, but dont know what specs to go with on them. I know absolutely nothing about amps, and what is a good freq. range on the subs? :shrug: I hear about highs, lows, and mids.....what are those? I am looking at replacing the entire stereo system (mach460) and going with a new head unit as well. I am thinking about an MP3 player. what are some good units to look at? More importantly, what should I be looking for? I dont know a whole lot about brand names so help with that would be appreciated as well. The end result of what i am looking for is good, clear sound quality, powerful bass, and i want the equipment to last! If anyone could help me out with this, i would really appreciate it!

Also, will a pair of 12's fit in my trunk? i have a '99.

would advise you to pick up the June 2004 issue of Mustang Enthusiast magazine - there is a *fabulous* article on building a stereo system for your Mustang.

That said - Find a local audio dealer (preferably one that does home theater AND car audio) - I recommend you stay away from best buy/circuit city/tweeter/others like it.

Build a repoire with them - you most likely can negotiate much better prices than those at stores mentioned above - and they *may* have installers with much more experience than some of the chains (not all - of course there are exceptions).

Anyway, good luck - and bear in mind that for $1000 you can have a system thats kicks the Mach 460's butt - and for $2000 you can have a system that is out of this world - of course you can spend much more than that - but I doubt that would be necessary at *this* moment in time - but remember, once you start, you're never done ;-)

Gary "I want video next in my Mach 1"

It is an excellent

smokin'Red35th said:
i guess ill check that out. i still would like some non-biased input on this however. i know how magazine publications can be sometimes. I'll check it out tho. thanks

article with no bias - IOW it's an article on how to approach adding aftermarket sound - not a review of equipment - of course they name some manufacturers, but the ones that they do name are those you'd want to explore...

As an example, they make the point that the speakers should be your FIRST selection...

For $1000 you can get a very nice head unit, a nice set of components up front and a nice 2 channel amp to power them, installed. Make sure they pre-wire for subs and rear channels (i.e. run RCA cables and sufficient power to the trunk), so you can add subs/amp later quickly and easily.

I *really* like my Focal 165KP's that I put up front - couple that with an Alpine 9827, 9830, 9831 or 9833 (depending upon what features you want), and pick up a decent 2'channel amp for your front stage and you'll be rocking. You could also pick any decent $100 set of coaxials for rear fill and buy a 4-ch amp instead. I have completely eliminated rear-fill in my Mach 1 and have grown to love it.

Good luck!

I'm installing a stereo this weekend consisting of the following:

MB Quart 3 1/2" in front and 5x7 in rear
JL Audio 3400 Amp
Kenwood Excelon Deck

I'm going for good sound without modifying the stock locations. I don't have cut-outs in the door panels for 6" speakers, so I'm not going to install any.

Try and read-up on all you can and search the internet for various articles. There is some good info out there, but there is also a lot of crap.

I totally agree with finding a "dedicated" car audio shop. In my experience they have always been the stores that deal with both home and car audio and nothing else. These store usually have better quality equipment. I don't like Best Buy or Circuit City. In fact, I was in a Circuit City the other day and overheard a customer ask a sales associate a question. The response was "I know everything about car audio", etc. Right there and then I knew this guy probably didn't know much other then what they sell in the store. Anyone who projects that sort of statement/attitude torwards a customer is very arogant and probably doesn't know much at all. I mean, anyone in any trade should be able to realize that NO ONE knows everything and everything. You can always learn something new.

Good luck on your decision and install. With your allotted funds, you should be able to come out with a very good system.

My suggestion for your sub setup...2 IDQ v2 12's and a jbl 1200.1 That should run you 550 and it will sound really really good. Those are SQ subs, but they can really pound when you need em to.

just remember that your front speakers are much more important than the rear..in fact if you just amp and hi pass your rear--you don't even have to replace them-and you have more money to spend on your front speakers...
amps...stick with a name you've heard of...i've had so many different amps...but i have to admit i got the most bang for the buck out of my Pioneer and ALPINE amps. The have great features, and they're virtually bulletproof...especially the pioneers....
when your listening to different speakers....no matter what the salesman tells you....if YOU can't hear the difference --it doesn't matter....and ask that the bass and treble levels be put on flat when you listen to them....it's quite a popular thing to turn the treble up on certain speakers that they're trying to sell to make them sound "better" than others....

I like Memphis. I have 2 10s in a custom made box to fit my trunk and still keep my spare tire where i can get to it. they are powered by a 250D memphis amp. I think they sound great. Especially when compaired to that fosgate crap i had before.